Wow, did I screw up last night... Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

joefrog

I've been working a lot in the shop lately, and last night found me in full "production mode," bouncing from project to project.

I've been working towards a big show this weekend, so it was "finish these nice ones" night. I cut all the blanks to tube length, drilled, reverse painted the tubes, went on to something else while paint dried, glued, then went on to something else while the glue dried.

It wasn't until I glued the first set of tubes in the EXPENSIVE blanks that I realized what I had done... I had drilled the wrong size hole. I had the wrong instruction sheet in front of me. :eek::eek::eek:

I had been working on building Jr. Gents, but I was drilling for Continentals. Lucky for me, I did have a Woodcraft Continental kit handy and was able to see that the same length tube will work, so I haven't completely screwed myself. Yet.

So there's the screw up, now the question. It's an alligator jawbone blank that has the wrong size tubes glued into it. I simply can't throw it out, too expensive. Can I use some nail polish remover on this blank and release the glue to get the tubes out? Or am I stuck pouring more glue into this hole to try and fill the gap between blank and tube?

Help!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

What kind of glue? Depending on the type there might be hope (besides just drilling the tube/glue out...)

Tom

SteveJ

Is the Continental tube larger or smaller than the Jr Gent tube? If it is smaller, why couldn't you just drill it out? If it is larger couldn't you turn some other material on the Gent tube to make up the difference? Even if you had to still drill out the Continental tube, you could use a material that matched the color of the tube you painted (or was paintable itself) as a filler.

Andrew_K99

FWIW the Continental (aka Atrax) uses the same drill bits as the Jr. Gent II, Jr. Statemen II, Jr Retro, Triton and others I believe. Could you use the blank in one of these kits?

AK

joefrog

FWIW the Continental (aka Atrax) uses the same drill bits as the Jr. Gent II, Jr. Statemen II, Jr Retro, Triton and others I believe. Could you use the blank in one of these kits?

AK

No, it does NOT. That's the mistake I made last night. The holes I drilled were a tad bigger than the tubes.

The Apprentice Jr. Gent II kit uses 25/64 and 15/32. The Continental uses 10.5mm and 12.5mm.

joefrog

Is the Continental tube larger or smaller than the Jr Gent tube? If it is smaller, why couldn't you just drill it out? If it is larger couldn't you turn some other material on the Gent tube to make up the difference? Even if you had to still drill out the Continental tube, you could use a material that matched the color of the tube you painted (or was paintable itself) as a filler.

The tube is smaller than the hole drilled. I'm afraid if I drill it out I would wallow out the hole even worse.

Andrew_K99

AK

No, it does NOT. That's the mistake I made last night. The holes I drilled were a tad bigger than the tubes.

The Apprentice Jr. Gent II kit uses 25/64 and 15/32. The Continental uses 10.5mm and 12.5mm.
You are confusing the Jr. Gent I and II. The Apprentice Jr. Gent is not a 'II', is is sometimes called 'I' to tell the difference. The pens I noted above all use 10.5 and 12.5 drill bits and the same tubes.

AK

joefrog

AK

You are confusing the Jr. Gent I and II. The Apprentice Jr. Gent is not a 'II', is is sometimes called 'I' to tell the difference. The pens I noted above all use 10.5 and 12.5 drill bits and the same tubes.

AK

Okay, okay. Here's what I have: Apprentice Jr. Gentlemen's Pen Kit | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA

Same link as yours, I believe. Note the drill sizes at the bottom.

Last edited:

Gilrock

AK

AK

Okay, okay. Here's what I have: Apprentice Jr. Gentlemen's Pen Kit | Pen Making | Craft Supplies USA

I believe he was suggesting you buy the kits in the lower link since you've already drilled holes that will match the Jr. Gent II size kits.

Andrew_K99

AK

AK

I believe he was suggesting you buy the kits in the lower link since you've already drilled holes that will match the Jr. Gent II size kits.
That is indeed what I was suggesting, the Jr. Gent II or any of the others that I noted. The blank in question (gator) is tricky from what I've read on here so trying to save the blank may ruin it.

AK

nativewooder

I think you should have bought the quart of KleanStrip Acetone for $9.75. Doesn't matter whether it's called fingernail polish remover or whatever, it's still Acetone. and will melt/dissolve CA glue.

Talfalfa33

Ok, here's an idea, in all aspect, should work, leave the tube in and rough up the inside and fill with casting material and when cured, redrill the proper size and glue in the correct tube. I've done something similar with machine parts and that holds up so in theory it should work for a pen.

BassBlaster

Am I wrong in thinking the gator bones are cast in an acrylic material? I'm just wondering, if the solvent, be it acetone or something else will dissolve CA (acrylic), why wouldnt it also dissolve the blank?

I think I would just buy a Jr Gent II and be finished with it. The gator bones are pricey blanks and deserve a nice kit anyhow.

PenMan1

I'm with Dennis! I'd just get some Triton or Jr Gent II hardware and stop yutzing with the blank. Nothing good can come from trying to "undrill" a hole and "redrill" it smaller.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
pop it in the oven at about 200º and that should soften the CA enough to
pull out the tube. Solvents may attack your resin and ruin the blank.

joefrog

I think you should have bought the quart of KleanStrip Acetone for $9.75. Doesn't matter whether it's called fingernail polish remover or whatever, it's still Acetone. and will melt/dissolve CA glue.

Took your advice -- I used my wife's nail polish remover. Got the tubes out! I'll be returning that expensive little bottle. Thanks!

Gilrock

Glad you got it out. I'm thinking some of us were confused as to what the situation was. We kept suggesting you just buy a a Jr Gent II kit to mount the blank but reading this again it sounded like you drilled out 10.5mm and 12.5mm holes but then glued in the 25/64 and 15/32 tubes so there was a lot of space around the tubes and the blank might crack while turning.

So is you're plan to now glue in the 10.5mm and 12.5mm tubes and mount it on a Jr Gent II sized pen?

joefrog

Glad you got it out. I'm thinking some of us were confused as to what the situation was. We kept suggesting you just buy a a Jr Gent II kit to mount the blank but reading this again it sounded like you drilled out 10.5mm and 12.5mm holes but then glued in the 25/64 and 15/32 tubes so there was a lot of space around the tubes and the blank might crack while turning.

So is you're plan to now glue in the 10.5mm and 12.5mm tubes and mount it on a Jr Gent II sized pen?

Correct, I had the wrong instructions in front of me and drilled the larger holes (10.5 and 12.5). Got the tubes out, bought a pair of Continental kits, and put them on those. Turned out okay.

joefrog

And to add to this comedy of errors, I finally made a Jr. Gent last night with the correct bits, etc.

Have y'all ever had a set of bushings that weren't true? These wobbled like a fat woman running for ice cream!

Before you say "it's the madrel," I turned another pen (different style) before and after that one and they were both fine.

Actually the Atrax uses the exact same tubes as the Jr Gent2 so you are just fine with that you should be able to use Atrax, Jr Gent2 or Jr Statesman on the exact same tubes! This is how I decide by the blank which blank is worthy of which kit! The Triton uses the same size but they are different lengths for the lower tube! I have saved myself on some nice blanks that I messed up drilling on by replacing the Jr. Gent 2 to a Triton! I love 10.5 and 12.5mm tube pens!

LagniappeRob

And to add to this comedy of errors, I finally made a Jr. Gent last night with the correct bits, etc.

Have y'all ever had a set of bushings that weren't true? These wobbled like a fat woman running for ice cream!

Before you say "it's the madrel," I turned another pen (different style) before and after that one and they were both fine.

I did. A set of "Sr Gent" (timberbits) that one end was off really noticeably. Swapped it with another I had and the wobble went away. Put it back to confirm and it was back. Took out the calipers. The hole was off center. Since I had others, I just threw that one away, even though I don't think I could mistakenly use it - if I'm that much out of it to not notice it, I shouldn't be on the lathe. I really want to try some PenturnersProducts.com bushings: http://penturnersproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2

Top Bottom