Would you use this antler?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

I was able to get some antlers when I was in Kansas a few weeks ago on a dog hunting trip. I tried turning 2 parts of it already but I do not like the way it looks.

The first one was a thick section close to the skull. It turned out an off-white with a dark blue-black color. I turned another that was further away from the skull. It wasn't quite thick enough so I wasn't able to get it completely the way I wanted it.

It has a bit of brown color on one side. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore. I shipped it back to the guy that gave it to me along with some pens that I traded for staying in his hunting lodge.

Anyhow, would you consider this to be satisfactory? I am new to turning and don't want to put out some bad stuff.

Lago

xIMG_0002.JPG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rkimery

Passed Away May 3, 2022
In Memoriam
I've taken quite a bit of these "2nds" and turned them into something fairly good. For whatever reason I use CA glue with most all of mine. About 5 coats of Med., then to 12M with MM and then comes the polish ....it looks great...MOST of the time. The more staining, brown or blue-black (whatever) you have the more character you have. One of a kind. I've used worse that this piece you have, in the past for myself.

SteveG

Some seem to want a nice uniform look, both color and visual texture. I do not view it that way, and proudly display antler pens with lots of variation. With multiple antler pen choices on the table, the ones with the color and texture get more attention and more sales. I will always attempt a fairly good match on upper/lower barrel on that style of pen, but otherwise, it is (almost) all good.

JAZNCARR

It looks great!.... deer antler is rare in that u want imperfections if u can. Leave it out of round so that tthe natural shape of the antler can poke out in a small spot or so.... and definnitely don't put the clip over that spot... as a matter of fact. Do the opposite and make the natural spot feature that much more apparent.. and welcome to turning =)

renowb

It looks good to me! Antler comes out with all kinds of colors, etc. It is a natural product so it will all be a little different.

lago

Thanks for the comments. Guess I will call him and have the antler sent back to me so I can finish the pen.

Being the first antler, just wasn't sure if I should continue with it.

Lago

Looks fine! Each piece of antler is fun to make because you truly never know what you will get.
Some of your bullet pens look a little over turned though and your gold bands are upside down! Just thought you should know.

lago

I'm not sure what caused the overturning. Either I am taking it down too far or I need a new set of bushings. I put the gold bands on upside down to have the flat side riding on the cartridge rim. I thought it looked a bit better. Guess I still have a lot to learn.

okiebugg

color

I was able to get some antlers when I was in Kansas a few weeks ago on a dog hunting trip. I tried turning 2 parts of it already but I do not like the way it looks.

The first one was a thick section close to the skull. It turned out an off-white with a dark blue-black color. I turned another that was further away from the skull. It wasn't quite thick enough so I wasn't able to get it completely the way I wanted it.

It has a bit of brown color on one side. Unfortunately, I don't have it anymore. I shipped it back to the guy that gave it to me along with some pens that I traded for staying in his hunting lodge.

Anyhow, would you consider this to be satisfactory? I am new to turning and don't want to put out some bad stuff.

Lago

View attachment 55029

You can send me all the antler that you don't like to me and I can and will use it.>>>>J/K
Don't tell anyone, but, I have found a place to mine your wares and reap the rewards.

I'm using epoxy to put Deer Antler and Gabon Ebony together on the cartridge pen kit. Lets see, we have a pen made with a bullet and the top is black and white. Sounds like the cops like-em. After having spent the weekend in Red River, New Mexico at a craft fair, I sold 28 pens among other things. Many of the bullet pens were purchased by Police and Deer Hunters

wolftat

Product Reviews Manager
I would use it in a heartbeat. Nature is rarely what we would call perfect and that looks perfect to me, I sell a lot of antler pens like that.

JohnU

Its all character. All antler is a little different. You never know what you get until you turn it. Some will have grey, green, purple, and other colors show up. Its all good and makes one of a kind pens. Drilling off center will often leave the outter natural texture which looks great also. If its too thick and your turning a thinner pen, you will more than likely expose the marrow. For thinner pens try to use the tines or smaller antler. It will usually be very white. Antler is prone to crack but IMHO always looks good.

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
Antler is prone to crack
This has not been my experience.:confused: Not trying to argue, just saying it has not been an issue for me. I have only experieced 1 "crack" in hundreds of attempts. Probably was an existing crack that became noticeable later.

jskeen

I'd put some ca on it and polish it up. Some buyers will reach over a half dozen even white pens and grab one that is half marrow with some of the bark showing. Others prefer the ivory look of the solid pieces. If you want the even, white, try to get either axis deer or sambar stag antler, both have much less marrow and are more uniform in density.

Personally I put the rougher more colorful pieces on cartridge pens or match the up with a locally recognizable wood (mesquite is the preference here in Texas) The smoother white pieces tend to end up paired with ebony or fancier burls on higher end pens for me.

The best seller I have found is when I can get the horn still attached to the skull bone. Turning that junction down will give the "Skull Line" and those go for a premium.

Top Bottom