Would you finish this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tbfoto

It's been a while since I've been out in my shop but today I turned some sycamore blanks. The first one was looking real nice until I got right down to where I wanted it then I noticed what I'm guessing is a worm hole. I did not notice this before I started it.
So my question is...would you finish this pen or just stop and move on to another blank?
It is just a slimline pen being made for no real special purpose, just for myself.

Attachments

• wormhole 2 (Medium).JPG
    wormhole 2 (Medium).JPG
    50.6 KB · Views: 399
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magier412

I like those kind of things...make it look more "natural", so yeah, I'd finish it. Looks great so far. If you really hate the hole you can probably use some CA to fill...

Just my two cents... ;)

stonepecker

And if you really want to make it stand out.......maybe make it a little bigger and fill it with brass shavings?

I like what you have done so far. I would finish it. Remember, it is what the person who buys it thinks.

Please post the finish pen. I would love to see it.

toddlajoie

YES!!! For small holes like that I personally I would fill it with CA so it remained a clear empty hole rather than fill with sanding dust. I sometimes run across bug holes that are already filled in, and those I leave filled in and stabilize them with thin CA, or I will fill in larger holes, but the little ones like that are cool...

tbfoto

Well this not what I was expecting to hear. I honestly thought everyone would think to just toss it out and start over. So anyway...I WILL finish it and I like the idea of turning it around and put it up by the clip. I may have to try that.
Thank you all for your opinions.

LeeR

I like oddities in a blank. And especially if you made the pen for you, and not to sell, then by all means complete the pen. I do not sell pens, I make them as gifts, and all my "practice" pens have homes in desk drawers, in the office, in the car, in a backpack, in my coats, and in my shop, just in case I need a pen instead of a pencil!

I intend to almost never have to use a a commercially-available, piece of junk pen. And when I sign a charge slip, I always use my pen, even if the person hands me a pen. I'd rather take my time digging into a pocket to find mine. All my coats have a pen in them, in the event I am wearing a shirt without a pocket. And most of my pants are cargo pants, so carrying a pen is always easy. maybe I'm just a bit OCD, but really -- you can never have enough of your own pens. :)

Last edited:

low_48

Put a piece of copper wire in it. Personally, I don't like slim lines that fat, so I would thin it out. glue in a copper wire, then final sand.

WriteON

or fill and dark stain the wood. leave the other half natural for a 2 tone pen.

OR...a tenon and with a dark collar.

Last edited:

JimB

I would certainly finish it leaving the holes or filling them with something in a contrasting color. I've made bowls and other things that have small holes in them and even some larger holes. I always leave them to give the item some character.

robertkulp

I have a piece of oak timber from a pre-Civil War log house. I've made many pens from it for the family and many of them have worm holes and powder tracks. That's part of the wood's history!

Wood, being a natural product, is rarely "perfect." Actually, it's the defects, spalting, burls, knots, and even worm holes that make the most interesting and beautiful projects.

Don't try to hide it. If anything, highlight it as a feature.

Top Bottom