Would a pen press help?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rcd567

I spent a couple hours making a nice pen today only to have it crack when I pressed the nose piece in. :( I usually use a disk of wood on both ends and use my drill press to drive them together. Sometimes it might be off a little and I'm thinking that might be what's making them crack. This has happened before. Do you folks who are more experienced than me think it would help this problem?

Thanks for your time.

Bob

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tim self

Would it help, possibly. I personally don't use a press, like you use a drill press or a clamp. regardless of your method, you just have to slow down a little and make sure your alignment is correct.

Rick_G

Sounds like you are trying to hold the disks of wood in place and the pen parts all at once. I use my drill press and it works great. I put a piece of dowel in the drill chuck and set a board on the platform. All I have to concentrate on is keeping the pen parts aligned. If they are not straight you will crack the wood. Take it slow and make sure the parts stay straight.

Rcd567

Bob Also make sure that there is no glue inside the tube or burring of the tube from the end mill , before attempting assembly . Wayne

What do you guys use to plug the ends? I know the pen mill suppose to cut out any that accidently gets in there. I've been using wadded up paper towel but some seems to still get in there when I tack the piece of paper out.......

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
What do you guys use to plug the ends? I know the pen mill suppose to cut out any that accidently gets in there. I've been using wadded up paper towel but some seems to still get in there when I tack the piece of paper out.......

Bob, since I have easy access to it, I use dental base plate wax. I have heard of others using Play Dough, potato slices and other similar items. I would not use the pen mill to clean out tubes. Stop by the sports section of Walmart, and pick out some brass barrel brushes of various sizes to use to clean out the tubes.

Tn-Steve

I did what Cav mentioned, made two pieces that are (more or less) a MT2 and use my lathe as a pen press. I drilled a small depression in the center of one to help locate the tip of the pen, and hit both with just a little thin ca smeared across it as a finish.

The "Lathe as Pen-Press" concept works great. You have a HUGE amount of control over the pressure, since on mine 1 turn of the tailstock handle translates into just a bit over 1/16th of an inch if I recall correctly). I can get the parts between the inserts and use just enough pressure to hold them there while I make sure everything lines up. As I crank them together, I can make sure things stay straight. No Fuss, No Muss, No Drama.

As for plugging the ends, I roll out a little bit of Play Doh (maybe 1/4 inch thick?) and just press the ends of the tubes into in it before I glue them. Afterwards a little piece of dowel or a hobby knife pops them right out. I've had far fewer problems with glue in the tubes since I've started doing it that way.

Hope that helps,

Steve​

Top Bottom