Would like ballpoint to stick-out another mm

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

Well, I don't drink or smoke, so at 50 I am a pen making addict LOL.
Thanks to your collective support, I am going along quite nicely considering my lathe is 8 days olds.

I made a Big Ben/Cigar yesterday - the finish came out great, but I want the point to protrude another 3/4 of a mm. Maybe I could have trimmed the barrel a little more. The pen writes fine as it is, but my OCD and anal-retentiveness has me wanting to make it just right.

I have already disassembled it, and plan to walk it over to my friend, and fellow pen turner's house to "hit it with his sanding wheel.

What do you think? Grit? Pressure? RPMs? Find a psychiatrist instead LOL?

Thank you!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

longbeard

I can counsel you Tony..............for a fee of course :rolleyes: :biggrin:

If you do sand the barrel, i would use a fine grit as to not take to much off. Do have a pic of how far it is sticking out now? Make sure everything is pressed together correctlly first.

Harry

TonyL

Thank you. I did check under a magnifying glass that all was pressed together and flush. I check that about 4 times :).

I have the pen disassembled now, so I can't take a picture.

The nib ring? I like the idea, but don't know how to do that.

I am usually go down further on the barrel trimming, I think that was it. We will see.

Thank you!

Dan Masshardt

Thank you. I did check under a magnifying glass that all was pressed together and flush. I check that about 4 times :). I have the pen disassembled now, so I can't take a picture. The nib ring? I like the idea, but don't know how to do that. I am usually go down further on the barrel trimming, I think that was it. We will see. Thank you!

The nib unscrews. I was thinking yesterday that I'd like to take it off completely but then I'd have to get a custom tube longer than usual.

Sylvanite

If it's 1mm or less, you can shorten the threaded end of the transmission slightly. Then it will screw further onto the coupler, which in turn extends the refill further. I do that occasionally using a disk sander. Just be careful to clean any brass dust out so it doesn't contaminate the transmission (which could case it to jam).

I hope that helps,
Eric

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Before you go trimming ANYTHING....look inside the nose piece. I found a metal shaving in one I had the same problem with. FWIW and, it's free :biggrin:

TonyL

What do you think of the point length?

Thank you! All excellent advice. I trimmed the barrel without incident and probably picked-up a "hair" in length. My good friend and pen turner, thought it was fine before the trimming.

Here's a picture of the point. The flash actually makes it look a little taller. It's not easy to take a pen point picture with a cell phone (at least for me).

Thanks again!

Attachments

• Pen Tip.jpg
    Pen Tip.jpg
    374 KB · Views: 115

longbeard

Thank you! All excellent advice. I trimmed the barrel without incident and probably picked-up a "hair" in length. My good friend and pen turner, thought it was fine before the trimming.

Here's a picture of the point. The flash actually makes it look a little taller. It's not easy to take a pen point picture with a cell phone (at least for me).

Thanks again!

Looks great Tony

Harry

TonyL

Then, it is just my sharp writing angle. I feel like the end of the nib is too close to my writing surface/paper. Thanks for the feedback.

raar25

I think you should jus make another one and trim a little more of the next barrel. Pens are like people, each one is uniquely perfect.

Top Bottom