Worthless Wood ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Kragax

Could someone explain to me what the term "worthless wood" means ? I have heard it used here but the wood in question looked pretty nice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

monophoto

I think the term 'worthless wood' is generally applied to wood that would seem to have little or no intrinsic value, but that with a little creativity can be used to make something very nice.

A good example might be pallet wood. It traditionally was considered a throwaway material, but in the last couple of years has become a very popular material. There is a winery near us where the bar in the tasting room was constructed entirely from old pallets.

Years ago, wife and I bought a small freezer that was manufactured in Italy for Montgomery Ward (maybe I should have said 'decades ago'). Being something of a stringsaver, I held onto the pallet that it came on, and after I got into turning, I found that I could use the wood from that pallet (an interesting close-grained European species in the oak family) to make some really nice pens.

BSea

I think the original "Worthless Wood" was wood that was too cracked/broken, or had too many voids to be used for turning. Then resin was added to fill the voids and make it usable. If I'm not mistaken, Curtis (MesquiteMan) was the 1st to coin the term.

darrin1200

Alot of times, the worthless that people are refering to, is normally tossed on the burn pile or literally thrown in the garbage.

An example is rotted/spalted wood. This is a very soft, punky material, that is almost impossible to work with, unless your timing is perfect. I have seen wood that, while it looked amazing with incredible colour and veining, you could crumble it in your hand. After stabilizing, it can be used for almost anything.

Another example is the live edge pieces that get cut off boards. Quite often, when the bark is removed, there is not much wood left, maybe only 1/4"-1/2". Worthless, but when you mix it with some resin, you get some beautiful combinations.

I hope this helps.

Wildman

Many vendors sell worthless wood blanks today. Here is one tutorial on how to salvage worthless wood, think couple more in the library on stabilizing wood. More than one place on line can send blanks off for stabilization.

http://content.penturners.org/library/pen_blanks/worthlesswoodblanks.pdf

Worthless-stabilized (plastic) blanks normally do not need a finish other than polish.

People also fill cracks & other defects in wood with all types of filling materials (turquoise, brass or iron filings, coffee grounds, and saw dust, etc). Sometimes wonder if worth the effort! If looks outstanding once pen complete okay. If only accomplish bringing attention to wood flaws & defects not sure worth the effort.

Top Bottom