Worthless and Useful Pen Turning Tools

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fireengines

I am new to pen turning and tend to purchase tools that sound good but when you get the home they are totally worthless to pen turning. One the other hand there are tools that are relative inexpensive that I've found to be very useful. That being said, here is my list of worthless tools, under $50.00 and very useful ones:

WORTHLESS:

2" Harbor Freight Cut Off Saw – This tool cost $34.00 would have a problem cutting through soft butter. Sounded good at them time.

USEFUL:

PSI Pen Disassembly Punch Set. I use this not only for it's intended purpose but other task like rounding the badge on one of my pens..

Centering Drill Bit – Cheap and works very well.

ELIMINATOR Deluxe Package by John Goodin – This device is amazing for applying CA. Before I could not pull off a blank without doing harm. Now, every blank is perfect.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PTsideshow

On the saw, it has it uses. Cutting hard tropical woods isn't one of them. Make sure the saw teeth on the blade is facing the correct direction to cut. They are designed to cut a limited range of materials you can find the cut off stone blades that will work also after market blades that fit.
I cut brass tubes, shaped brass, soft woods, small sized hard woods And have cut assorted types of gas/TIG welding rod for assorted projects.
There is a thread on one of the forums about them the 2" chop saws.

I bought a Royobi 7¼" Compound Miter saw, And an aftermarket Diablo 56 tooth Non-Ferrous/Plastic. Does Laminated flooring, fiberglass, plastics copper, brass, aluminum. It also does a nice job on oak and pine, the dust collector bag sucks, vac works great and keeps the mess down.
I put a thread on it up in the tools forum.
:clown:

alamocdc

Worthless - PSI's 7mm blank cutter. It cuts a 7mm hole through the middle and about a 10mm OD. It looks like a cross between a long plug cutter and a hole saw. They don't even sell it anymore, but I had to have one when I first got into penturning because I thought I'd be making so many slimlines. But I quickly discovered other styles and never even used it. It is still brand new and in the original box.

Lenny

Worthless: well maybe not worthless but a waste of money ... pen tube inserting tool. Any number of things laying around will work just as well, a nail set, the plastic end off an old CA glue bottle, or throw some scrap stock on the lathe spin to size!

Most Useful: Woodchuck PenPro, collet chuck, digital calipers, micro mesh pads, IAP!!!

Fireengines

USEFUL - Free wood chop sticks. I use them to move the tube into the perfect postion in the blank and to swirl the glue inside the blank.

flyitfast

Useless: Huge box of 1" cutoffs I can't seem to toss

Most useful: IAP, YouTube

Joel - turn them into beads and contribute them to the Beads of Courage program. They are like diamonds to those kids who go thru so much in their treatments for cancer and other diseases. The kids get one for each treatment they go thru and keep them in their Beads of Courage boxes that many woodturners make for them. :) Some kids have hundreds.
www.beadsofcourage.org
Check it out.
Thanks
gordon

joefrog

Useless: Huge box of 1" cutoffs I can't seem to toss

Most useful: IAP, YouTube

Joel - turn them into beads and contribute them to the Beads of Courage program. They are like diamonds to those kids who go thru so much in their treatments for cancer and other diseases. The kids get one for each treatment they go thru and keep them in their Beads of Courage boxes that many woodturners make for them. :) Some kids have hundreds.
www.beadsofcourage.org
Check it out.
Thanks
gordon

Oh, wow! What a great idea! Thanks, I'll do exactly that!

Top Bottom