worst turning day yet

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mr Fixit

Bad Karma is catching up I guess.

Got into the shop this morning, outside temps in the 30's. Couldn't find matches or a lighter or anything to start a fire with. Finally went and got my torch and had the wood stove going.

As things warmed up, I started turning. I've been really wanting to do a couple of specific pens for a while. Cut some Ebony for a Stretch pen, started turning and found the Ebony had lots of lighter streaks. Guy I'm making it for wanted a black Ebony. It was supposed to be black ebony, but looks more like black and white.

Worked on a buckeye burl pen. Got it turned and when I shut the lathe off, found several voids showing the tube.:mad: Filled with ebony dust from sanding. Finished, or tried to finish with CA, and got a weird orange peel look. Had to sand through it and start again.

But the worst, or at least most disappointing to me came last. I had bought a worthless wood blank, maple with red. I was really, and I mean really looking forward to making a stretch pen with it. As I started to turn, found that rather than having the mixing/swirling effect I wanted, It was pretty much half wood and have 'plastic'. Got it round, down to about 1/2" diameter. All of a sudden, the thing explodes. Not a chip out or a blow out, whole thing came apart right down the seem line between wood and plastic:crying:. Red plastic shattered in several pieces. I got so mad after looking at it and decided it couldn't be glued back I just chunked the whole thing in the stove.

Looked like somehow there was not good adhesion between the wood and plastic inlay. Not sure if that was somehow normal or not, this was the first one I've tried. I really wanted to make one of those, but now I'm not sure if I will try it again.

Picked up the tools closed up the stove and gave it up for the day. Bad thing is it will be several days before I have time to get back out there.

Mr Fixit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wheaties

Man, that sucks! But I know how you feel. Now if I have a big screw up, I usually just quit for a few hours because I know it will only get worse if I keep going.

Oldwagon

Sorry to hear that .I have had days like that.I have learned to shut everything off and go into the house for the night.Give it a day or 2 and try again. Todd

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
If it makes you feel any better, I also have turned only ONE worthless wood blank. It was made by a member who is no longer here (to make certain none of our existing vendors' reputations suffer).
It blew up while drilling, just as you describe--right along the intersection of wood and resin.

I think there is a method to making these that not all makers have discovered!!!

PenMan1

Leave the wood heater on, turn the lathe off, get your favorite beverage, a broom and a notepad. Drink a little, clean the shop a little and write down notes about things that you want to turn and maybe "sketch" a design or two.

We have all had these days and trying to "correct" the earlier problems usually ends up in a bigger problem. By drinking, cleaning and designing, you have had a better day than most of us working stiffs and I find that this "cleaning and drinking" time really keeps me excited about the shop and future projects and not dwelling of the failures of the past.

papabear1981

Bad Day continued

Leave the wood heater on, turn the lathe off, get your favorite beverage, a broom and a notepad. Drink a little, clean the shop a little and write down notes about things that you want to turn and maybe "sketch" a design or two.

We have all had these days and trying to "correct" the earlier problems usually ends up in a bigger problem. By drinking, cleaning and designing, you have had a better day than most of us working stiffs and I find that this "cleaning and drinking" time really keeps me excited about the shop and future projects and not dwelling of the failures of the past.

With his luck, the dust from sweeping up would explode in the fire he left going in the heater

Mr Fixit

I think there is a method to making these that not all makers have discovered!!!

So is there a secret to turning these? I was taking very light cuts with a sharp tool, had it already round and was just going for the right size. Is it an inherent issue with this type of blank? Or is it just one of those things that sometimes happens?

Lenny

So basically you broke a piece of wood/plastic.
You still have all your body parts!
Things could be worse! Things can ALWAYS be worse!
Hope next time is better!

Top Bottom