Worms

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

hrigg

Cutting up some scavenged branches that fell off a plum tree, and in addition to all the rotted wood I'm finding worms and worm trails. Not a lot, but I use a rule of thumb where 1 known worm = 10 or more unknown ones. There's just enough pitch in the wood that I'm reluctant to nuke the worms in the microwave. What are my other options? I sort of like the glued in worm tracks, but I'd prefer not having a worm pop out onto someone's hand. What are my other options?

Thank you.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

broitblat

What about freezing? Put it in a plastic bag and pop in the freezer for a few days. I would think that would take care of the worms!?

-Barry

Rifleman1776

Zap 'em. No one will tell the Humane Society. [:0]
Dogwood seems especially prone to the worm thing. I have found it almost impossible to keep and dry large pieces because of the buggies. So, I cut into pen blanks and frequently have to zap to keep them whole.

TAld

WOW!!!!what an opportunity- let them stick their heads out and have the PR ready and pour [:D] [:D] [:D] nuttin like a custom pen with worms looking at you eye-to-eye. I just heard the doorbell ring I think it's PETA [:(!]

hrigg

Wasn't especially concerned about PETA or the Humane Society...more about catching the microwave on fire.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Originally posted by hrigg
<br />Wasn't especially concerned about PETA or the Humane Society...more about catching the microwave on fire.

Harry, either you are single, or you forgot the number one reason to be concerned about using the microwave as a worm killer!!!! [:D]

hrigg

Originally posted by wdcav1952
<br />
<br />Wasn't especially concerned about PETA or the Humane Society...more about catching the microwave on fire.

Harry, either you are single, or you forgot the number one reason to be concerned about using the microwave as a worm killer!!!! [:D]

Is there a reason besides popcorn?

exoticwo

HRIGG,
Green wood needs to be dried prior to turning for pens as you probally know. It won't hurt to Nuke them, just wrap oversized blanks with a papertowel of cotten cloth and use low/defrost power for a short amount of time. Adjust time to avoid end checking.
I have always thought it a nice surprise when working a fresh bowl blanks nad get slimed by a couple of worms!!
I don't think any worms would "pop" out on a customers hand as the finished pen barrels are quite thin, not much room for them to hide!!

hrigg

Thank you. I wouldn't have thought of the wet towel.

I still think I'll wait until my wife goes out of town this weekend.[:D]

Dario

What I read works,

microwave drying
boiling
DNA soaking
freezing
etc.

I agree that there is probably not enough wood left for them to hide in on a turned pen. If still in doubt, try those listed above.

BTW, it is better to put the blanks in plastic bag/container while nuking. The steam will be trapped inside and it will kill them faster...it will also prevent checking and protect your microwave's electronics.

hrigg

My "popping out" comment was a little facetious...I didn't really ever anticipate that. Thanks for all the suggestions, though.

hrigg

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
<br />
<br />My "popping out" comment was a little facetious...I didn't really ever anticipate that. Thanks for all the suggestions, though.

Be sure to save them. Delicious.[:0]

Take too many of 'em to make a sammich--they're little teeny things.[:D]

Dario

Harry,

Try the ones from Texas (esp the ones that loves mesquite)...just a few of the full sized ones will make you full LOL [;)]

PenPal

Reminds me of this older lady who was the bane of this Doctors life,he used to dread seeing her,in time they both died and were buried nearby.One day there was a knock on the Doctors coffin and it was that same lady hi Doc have you got anything for worms?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom