Workshop sketch pencil help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Bean_Counter

Hey everyone was wondering what I am doing wrong ith this kit. When I hit the button to extend the lead, the lead and collet both slide out of the nib. Anyone got a cure for this or advice? Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SteveG

Throw it away!

Actually, I no not know what is the problem. Some pencils will advance the lead a small amount, and some will just release it so the user can set a desired length, and release the button. Sorry, no help here.

Bean_Counter

It's just weird that both the lead and the collet just fallout once the button is used. I have to be doing something wring because I out another one together and same thing

bruce119

I did hundreds of these never encountered what you describe...Need photos...lay it out and take some photos...
I got one in my hand now, there are different kits but basically all the same.
HERE is instructions from CSUSA
The transmission that holds the collect are all 1 assembly do do not come apart.
You should be able to operate the pencil rite out of the bag
just drop the lead in screw on the end cap and it should work...
Where you buying your kits...check your mechanism before you start your work...

PHOTOS.....

good luck

Bean_Counter

Thanks Bruce.... Here is a photo of my assembly. Notice the one on the bottom how far the plunger sticks out. When the plunger is pushed down the collet and lead extend and fall out. Any help would be appreciated before these kits take flight lessons :biggrin:

Attachments

• IMG_4300.JPG
    IMG_4300.JPG
    68.9 KB · Views: 216

bruce119

Hmmmmm....where did you purchase your kits...
I would contact them looks like you got defective kits....
They should not come apart there....

Bean_Counter

So between the nib and collet they should not fall apart? Got them from penkits.biz but they look the same as the csusa ones

bruce119

This pencil is a little different then CSUSA. Really close though...Here are the instructions...HERE

Below is taken from the instructions..the thing I'm not familiar with is
step 5 were it says to add CA to the end cap coupler
ALL the pencils I have worked with had the end cap coupler already installed
Something else different about this kit is that it screws directly into the brass tube.
Still looks like the NIB popped off the end of the mechanism and it should not have..
You mite be able to put it back together and carefully CA the NIB to the mechanism careful not to get glue were it shouldn't be.
Workshop Pencil.jpg

I still say these are defective the NIBs shouldn't pop off and separate.
Call your suppler for replacement or go with a better kit...

hope I helped

bruce119

So between the nib and collet they should not fall apart? Got them from penkits.biz but they look the same as the csusa ones

The ones I am familiar with are the Artist Sketch Pencil HERE
There close the difference I see is that the end cap couple is already on
and it has a threaded bushing that presses into the brass tube
that the NIB screws into...a better design I think...

Still your NIB shouldn't come off call your suppler...
Good luck

Bean_Counter

Yeah Bruce it looks like the collet should be attached to the mechanism and on this kit it isn't. I'm going to try and glue and make the mechanism look like it does on the instructions pic. Thanks for all your help on this

dexter0606

Yeah Bruce it looks like the collet should be attached to the mechanism and on this kit it isn't. I'm going to try and glue and make the mechanism look like it does on the instructions pic. Thanks for all your help on this

WAIT!!
If I'm not mistaken the collet threads into the mechanism. Can't check right now but pretty sure that's the case. Try threading the collet into the mechanism before you start glueing anything

Bean_Counter

Well I've tried everything that I can think of and suggestions... I officially think these mechanisms should have been received put together and are defective... I will look at getting a fund which is a shame because the barrels came out great and I tubed all the kits I had. Thanks again for the help all

Phunky_2003

Are you positive one end of the tubes isn't threaded.

I've made the mistake of getting the tubes mixed up. Even when I knew one was threaded.

Bean_Counter

James yes one tube is threaded but the nib threads into it. The issue I am having is with the mechanism. The collet, spring, and mechanism are not together as one piece as all the instructions show. So my problem is the collet attaching to the mechanism tube, not the blank tube. I hope that makes sense?

bruce119

Michael don't worry about your finished tubes....

Any supplier worth a pinch of salt will just replace the defective part...
In your case the mechanism, give them a call let them know what is going on and you have photos...
Check any unused kits for defects....

Let us know how you make out...

Bean_Counter

Just wanted to update the thread. I spoke with Gary at penkits.biz over email and he informed me on how you get the mechanism together. The collet, end cap coupler, and nib all press together to make the pencil mechanism whole. With this kit there is no ca gluing the end coupler/sharpener to the tube. So ater all the headache I tried this out and shazam it worked I have woodworkers/sketch pencils. Gary is a great guy to deal with and recommend checking his site out.

Thanks again to all that helped me out in this

bruce119

Well gezze you think that the instructions would reflect that. I never had the kit in hand but it didn't look like the NIB part need to be pressed on by the builder...

Glade you got it figured out...

Bean_Counter

Well gezze you think that the instructions would reflect that. I never had the kit in hand but it didn't look like the NIB part need to be pressed on by the builder...

Glade you got it figured out...

That's what I thought, but I'm just glad it's figured out... Thanks again for the help

WriteON

What barrel shaft did you use to square the blanks. I can't find one and I don't know if they are made. Also could not get a sleeve. Thanks, Frank

Bean_Counter

What barrel shaft did you use to square the blanks. I can't find one and I don't know if they are made. Also could not get a sleeve. Thanks, Frank

Hey frank, man I wish I could answer that for you but I don't square mt ends with mills any more.... If you want I can point you to a thread that describes squaring without them

Top Bottom