worksharp

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jeff3285

10-06-2014 10:44 AM
I am getting a mini lathe and i didnt know if anyone has had any experience sharpening their wood turning tools on a work sharp,,,do you need a jig,,,or is one offered,,,or do you need to make one,,,,can anyone help me out,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenV

Have a worksharp -- not my first choice for sharpening lathe tool, but would do in a pinch.

Unless you can get a really amazing deal, the costs of putting rests and jigs on the worksharp will exceed the cost of a basic grinder and home built jigs by far.

As I remember, the add on tool rest will accept the Tormek jigs -- and the Tormek jigs are expensive.

There are a number of decent grinders with Aluminum Oxide wheels for the 100-150 cost. Captain Eddie has plans for a shop made grinding jig that will do gouges.

JasonC

I ended up with a Tormek T-3 and their jigs for HSS tools. I have a regular bench grinder but the heat generated isn't healthy for the tools.

I considered the Worksharp and also considered getting a low RPM grinder. I added up the cost of the low RPM grinder and the Wolverine jig and decided to just go with the Tormek T-3. With the low RPM grinder and Wolverine I could sharpen tools but accuracy would be questionable in my opinion.

Worksharp...they realized how flawed their system was and created a tool bar attachment to use the Tormek jigs for accuracy. If you're going to have to buy the Tormek jigs to be accurate on the Worksharp, you may as well buy the Tormek to begin with.

The reason I chose the Tormek is that it's accurate, consistent, low RPM, and water cooled. The low RPM (even lower than a slow-speed grinder) means that you can't make the mistake of cutting too fast. Having the ability to sharpen the tool while removing as little material as possible is nice - especially over time. End result is a super sharp tool that never builds heat as it is being sharpened. The down side is that since the Tormek is a slow-turning sharpener, it takes a bit longer to sharpen. Not a big deal when touching up but if you're like me and tried other ways to sharpen your tools, the cutting edge and profile would benefit from proper shaping.

You can also use the Tormek to sharpen and hone knives, axes, chisels, and so on.

For restoring cutting edges on my tools with replaceable carbide cutters I use a Trend double-sided bench stone.

Last edited:

designer

I have one that I am planning to put on CL. I was very disappointed in it.

I am going to try the Grizzly 10010 grinder I think. It is cheaper than a good Tormek but uses the same attachments.

Cmiles1985

I bought the WS3000 about a month ago, and I've liked it. What I didn't buy (until this weekend) was the tool bar attachment and a jig. Luckily I had a "bonus" from work (in the form of gift cards), so I ordered the Tormek multi jig and WS tool bar attachment. Without those add ons, consistency is nearly impossible. I will say that until I played with, and figured out, the WS, I guess I had never used a sharp tool. It has made using an oval skew very enjoyable. This is jmho, and I'm fairly new to turning as I've only owned a lathe for about a year.

Yet another opinion.

I've used my WS (which I already had) for sharpening my lathe tools and find it does a good job. I do not use the slotted discs. Instead, I use a couple jigs I made for skews & gouges (got the basic idea here). Does exactly what I want and it's repeatable. LOML got me the Tormek bowl gouge jig which attaches to the WS. It does quite well, also.

Repeatability was my primary concern. That is resolved. Couple things I haven't resolved yet are the availability of the sanding discs, their cost and the fact that they need replacement often.

Frankly, I think they're pretty pricey for what you get. I haven't been able to find many places where I can get them other than the WS brand. Plus, you can't get them in single grits. You have to buy the assortment and I always wind up with extra piles of the finer grits. And I do seem to go through them pretty quick when I'm turning. Stopping to replace worn-out disc is just a pia.

Other than those minor issues, it does a pretty good job. Longer term, I think I'd like to get a Tormek.

Cmiles1985

I also have opted not to use the slotted discs. I thought the manual said you could use any PSA, not just WS brand. I don't know if there may be any better options in the grits we use though.

jfoh

If you want a sharpening system to try I have a woodcraft flat waterwheel you can have for the shipping. See : J. Phil Thien's Woodcraft Sharpener Review . It was a woodcraft sharpener and did a decent job for the money. For the cost of shipping it will get you started and help you learn what you want and need. Then when done just pass it along to another. We collect too much in the way of tools we rarely use and others can get use of stuff we have lost interest in.

I have two Tormek 2000 sharpeners. If you are patient and watch EBay you can pick one up for less than 200.00 with basic attachments. I have bought almost every attachment Tormek makes for way less than half price on EBay over time. In fact I save a lot more than that after selling off duplicate extras from my buying group lots on EBay. Also they have several different sharpening wheels that I bought the same way. There is a lot of difference in the different wheels.

The Japanese water wheel puts a mirror smooth finish and makes a paper shaving tool that is scary sharp. What I like best is the sharpening removes very fine amounts of metal and my tools last a lot longer. I do use a diamond hone card for fast touch ups sometimes in between sharpening.

I keep a small notebook with sharpening notes. Settings, tool holders number and tips I learned the hard way. I also set up both machines and sharpen every turning tool I have when I get into a sharpening mood. In two hours I can put a perfect edge on my tools that will last for months of use. The two different machines make fast work of rough sharpening, finished sharpening and then honing on leather wheels. They also do a great job on planer blades and flat chisels. The only attachment I still lack is the drill bit sharpening guide but will come across one at a reduced price. But I am a patient man and will end up with one sooner or later.

Top Bottom