Working towards pool cue pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Here are a couple of pictures of a gentlemen's pen. The lower sleeve is hardrock maple pool cue shaft wood and the upper is gabon ebony. I bought the material from a pool cue parts supplier.

I started making pens to learn how to make pool cues but I dont think I got whatever it takes to make cues, but I think i can make some cool pens that resemble cues.

My next step is to do the bottom barrel as a closed end and use faux ivory segmented onto the end to resemble the ferrule of the pool cue.

Next step is to segment the upper blank with some colored wood veneers I also purchased from a pool cue place. I will do them on all four sides so they resemble butterfly points. I ordered some pick guard material that I will use as rings at the top of both sleeves.

In one of the photos of the pen it looks crooked, but in real life it's straight. Must be the way i'm angling in on taking the photo or something.

Any thoughts on how to make this process towards the pool cue pen go better would certainly be appreciated.

The reason I haven't done any segmenting for them yet is I am waiting on the arrival of my Byrnes table saw. As soon as I get that i'm off to the races.

My question is this. Is is possible for me to replace the center band on the gentlemen and Jr. Gentlement with a ring or band made out of pick guard or some other material? I think if I could do that I will be able to make a really cool pool cue pen.

Attachments

• pool cue gentlement upright.JPG
    pool cue gentlement upright.JPG
    58.6 KB · Views: 298
  • poolcue gentlemens down.jpg
    poolcue gentlemens down.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 232
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

Yea seer, anytime. I just made me a new workbench and my setup is a lot better now. JoeL came to the house a couple of weeks ago and we did some drilling on the lathe. I'm gonna head out his way to see his pen wizard soon. Maybe you can tag along if you want.

hewunch

My question is this. Is is possible for me to replace the center band on the gentlemen and Jr. Gentlement with a ring or band made out of pick guard or some other material? I think if I could do that I will be able to make a really cool pool cue pen.

Yes you can, look in the library for centerband removal. You can replace the (in your case) the black band, you can take off the top gold band and the black band and just have a thin CB or you can make your own.

DennisM

And I thought I was the first to want to try this! This is the exact reason I got into pen making a week ago!

For the exact same reasons, have you been reading my mind?

LOL

Good luck, cant wait to see pics!

Top Bottom