Working my way up

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stretch

Don't ask me if this is the right place to put this forum because I have NO clue. Here is my question.

Since I am a fairly new member, I am amazed by all you turner's pens. These pens have really created a desire just to go out, buy a fancy kit, and make it. Now is where I face the dilema. Since I have only turned about 10 pens, (and some mini vases) I don't know if I have enough experience. So do I take steps by progressing my way up the pen tree, or do I go straight to the top? I if do need to take steps, what order do I take them. Mainly I have been making slimlines, comforts, and a bullet pen or two from PSI. So, what order should I take[?]

Dario

Pete,

I believe anyone can make any of the kits out there with minimal eperience. my first kits were slimlines and Euro and looking back, I think those are as difficult as any kit can be.

Turning is the easy part...finishing for me is the main factor to be considered.

Do you think you can make the quality (turning and finishing) good enough to match the more expensive kits? If your finish is just friction polish, I think it will be a waste to use the $50.00+ kits for now. If you think you need more practice...continue practicing with cheaper kits...unless you have a really deep pocket. If you think you are ready, then go for it.

My advise is to turn with quality in mind and not quantity. A lot of beginners try to produce as much as they can (I did that) going the easy route. Mastering each step and paying special attention to details is the key.

This is just my opinion and is worth what you paid for it...which in none [:D] [;)]

jssmith3

Hi Pete, Dario is so right on this point. I still cannot afford the expensive kits so I have to fancy up my cheap ones with painting or inlaying but I have worked very hard perfecting my CA & BLO finish on these "cheaper" kits. Your finish makes the pen so make the best finish you can then move on, besides, whats the hurry?

Have a great evening,
Janet ;)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Ditto to what Dario and Janet said. Other than the fact that some of the larger pens require a larger hole for the tube and you have to be a little more careful in keeping the hole centered, I think the more expensive kits are just as easy if not easier to turn than the slimlines, euros and cigars. The only thing that takes more tome is to produce a high quality finish that will hold up and give lasting value to the pen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom