Working with Ivory

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I will be working with Ivory here in the next day or two and I would really like appreciate some tips on what to watch out for! I am making a finial and a clip insert, so should I coat it in CA?

Thanks,
David

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

terryf

The items you are making are very small so I wouldn't be too concerned as the usual pitfalls are applicable to full size blanks.
I don't use CA because the material needs to breathe but again, your parts are small I dont think it will make a difference.
Good luck

BRobbins629

Passed Away Dec 28, 2021
In Memoriam
Another thing ivory doesn't like is expansion if you are using it for a barrel. If making a kit pen, do not press the fittings into the brass tube. Rather file off the fitting or inside of the tube until it is a slip fit and then glue in. I have made several ivory pens with this method and some without tubes which are crack free for several years. Pens a friend made with the same batch have all cracked as he pressed in the fittings.

For accents should not be a problem. Its a beautiful material when just sanded and buffed.

Thanks everyone! I will go easy on it. I also won't coat it. I was planning on not coating it anyway, but I just wanted to make sure I didn't need to.

The pen will be posted at some point for review.:biggrin:

David

Top Bottom