Work Shop WS2000 sharpener?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

flyfisher117

http://www.dynamitetoolco.com/Work-...rk=gdfV2469_a_7c555_a_7c1883_a_7cWOS_d_WS2000

Still unable to afford a bench top grinder and wolverine system to sharpen my lathe tools and today my dad was at sears i guess and got that sharpener.

He came home and told me to ask you guys if you think that little grinder deal will work for a while untill we can get the big 8 inch grinder like we plan or just return it and save up longer?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I looked at that unit and bought the tormak I spent alittle over $400 and got the lathe tool atchment and the stone. I aplied for the Sears card and they gave me 6 months, same as cash. finished it off the first of this month.
I'm still learning to use it, but you can mark your tools and when you need to sharped,its real easy to reset the tool in the jig. You can resharpen in less than a minite

phillywood

John, first of all you said your dad bought this tool? From the price posted it is $99.00 and this sharpening tool will not sharpen your gouges for turning, I brought up this thread few weeks back and I got enough answer to convince me to buy the wolverine sharpening system. You can look at your craigslist in your area and find a grinder for $35 or maybe haggle with the guy and you can get it for cheaper. Then you buy the basic wolverine system and keep watching the instructional video over and over again and you'll get the technique right to keep your tools sharp. The other thing is ask at your local chapter penturning or wood turning club in your area to see if a member is willing to show you how to do it and you learn it first hand by watching them up close. I did that myself and I now know the difference of a really sharp tool.
The approach you are taking will cost you more in the long run.

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
It will work, but it won't do a hollow grind. If you need that, you might
want to trade it. I prefer a flat grind and the WorkSharp did a great job
at it.
I used the slotted discs that you can see through. If you position a light
above the unit, you can watch the edge being sharpened.. something
you can't do any other way. That allows you to be certain you aren't
changing the angle of the grind without the use of a jig. Freehand is
pretty easy with those discs. You can put a very sharp edge on the tool

flyfisher117

technique right to keep your tools sharp. The other thing is ask at your local chapter penturning or wood turning club in your area to see if a member is willing to show you how to do it and you learn it first hand by watching them up close. I did that myself and I now know the difference of a really sharp tool.

I actually took 10 or so of my tools into woodcraft to have sharpened they said they would do it for so much or i could take the class and learn how to do it myself and it ended up being less its just i now need the grinder to practice what i learned from the class i guess its not too much more for the wolverine ill just see what he wants to do

InvisibleMan

By the way, I use a 6" Craftsman grinder with the Wolverine system. Works just fine and cheaper than the 8", but I did have to raise the grinder up above the base about 3/4 of an inch or so. Got the grinder at Sears.

flyfisher117

oh my oh my... my day just got better....not

So i showed my dad your guys posts on here so today he went back and returned the worksharp and bought an 8 inch bench top grinder with the two sharpening stones... he brought it home plugs it in and sets it all up.

turns it on and grabs my brand new Pinnacle roughing gouge for pen making and trys to sharpen it...:crying: Now its edge is all titty wonkus and i cant make pens till i get that fixed then i picked up one of our low end garage sale round nose scrapers and got a decent little burr on it and he then takes it looks and says look how un even this grind is and trys to buff it but he held the tool wrong and sharpened it the opposite way hes supposed to. so now its got a pretty grind but it has no more bur

and he still doesnt think that a wolverine would be worth it... i guess as long as he leaves my new pen turning skew alone he can have fun

NewLondon88

Local Chapter Leader
ouch!

Some people don't understand the burr. But you can put it back.

The people who have or use the Wolverine swear by them, but
you can make something like it yourself. (do a search for home
made sharpening jigs and I'm sure you'll find it) You can save
some money.
An 8" wheel is good. It will give you a more gentle hollow grind
than the 6" (at least until you wear it down!)

Last edited:

flyfisher117

When we get the grinder anchored down im going to try and make my own wolverine style jig with the V and im going to try and modify the other plates so that they can be angled easier and have a bigger surface area. Shouldnt be to hard i dont think

Hess

I got a tormach yo me not worth the $$, Grizzly has near the same for 89 and for 100 more you can get the 10 inch one I have them both and there is not enough difference between grizzly and tromach to justify tormachs cost. Too many folks pass Grizzly up and that is sad much of my shop is grizz and have had excellent results not one break down in 4 years:eek:

Top Bottom