A word of caution

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

I've told anyone who asks that the smell of gator bone is worse than the worse antler you could think of and now I want to warn about the dust created while cutting and turning it. Yesterday I spent most of the day cutting gator bone to blank size and shape on my table saw creating a very fine dust. I was not wearing my respirator and was breathing and inhaling in the dust, Diane came into the shop and had to walk right out and warned me to wear the Triton ( it has not been used in 6 months). well today I've had this terrible dry cough and it taste like the smell of gator in my mouth. Think I'll leave them alone for a while and next time I need to cut more than one I'll wait until fall when I can leave the shop door open.
Turning shouldn't be a problem if you have a dust collector...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
You know better, Roy!

As for "shouldn't be a problem turning it"...that's a joke. I've turned ONE blank and I feel carpal tunnel syndrome setting in!

Feel better, my friend.

tbroye

How can the Gators have any type of Football team if Roy is cutting them up? How can a person with a name like Okalahoman like a team from Florida or does Okalahoma have Gators some place?

Last edited:

OKLAHOMAN

Lou, I said not a problem with the dust but should have added a major PITA turning:biggrin:, sharp tools dull faster than the hardest blue lapis I've ever turned:frown: but the end results are well worth it:biggrin: .

Bat Girl I think I'll be fine, it's just I quit smoking 2 years ago and this is the same type caugh only taste worse....

ThomJ

Does all bone smell? I have some lamb leg bone a neighbor, who has a large flock, wants made into a pen.

jttheclockman

For the life of me I just can not figure out why someone would walk into a woodworking shop and start cutting anything that makes dust and not wear 2 things, safety classes and a dust mask. It is so mind boggling.

I was in the shop today to start cutting some boards to make some fruit baskets for my fall craft shows and the very first thing I did was put the air cleaner on and a dust mask. I was sanding some boards down for about 1/2 hour and the phone rang. I took my mask off to talk on the phone for a matter of few minutes and I could taste the saw dust right away.

For goodness sake wear a dust mask of some sort and that goes for everyone here. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
AMEN

For the life of me I just can not figure out why someone would walk into a woodworking shop and start cutting anything that makes dust and not wear 2 things, safety classes and a dust mask. It is so mind boggling.

I was in the shop today to start cutting some boards to make some fruit baskets for my fall craft shows and the very first thing I did was put the air cleaner on and a dust mask. I was sanding some boards down for about 1/2 hour and the phone rang. I took my mask off to talk on the phone for a matter of few minutes and I could taste the saw dust right away.

For goodness sake wear a dust mask of some sort and that goes for everyone here. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Amen to that. I have smoked for 60 years and you can do more damage to your lungs with that sanding dust in a year than cigarettes will do in 50. It is nothing to fool with.

Fred

Just shows to go ya ... you can not take the '"bite" out of gators. :eek:

All serious woodworkers know to turn on the dust collection system, put on the face shield, and to wear eye protection.

Sometimes I do think though that some of us just don't remember how or what order of importance these things are. But is there any particular order as long as all three are utilized?

Oh yea, what food flavoring goes best with gator bone dust? :biggrin:

Jon-wx5nco

I have a dumb question. Where does one get gator bone? That would be something neat to try one of these months
Jon

Top Bottom