A word of caution

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Gary

I noticed something this weekend that I would like to share with everyone, especially folks new to woodworking and/or penturning). In the Blank Preparation section of the CSUSA instructions for the Ligero pen kit, it's stated "Set the drill press speed to 2000-3000 rpm, then drill each blank..."

That is not only erroneous, but to do so is unsafe. The drill bits used for the Ligero are 31/64" & 17/32" (both very close to 1/2"). A 1/2" bit should NEVER be run at 2000 rpm much less 3000. A check of most commonly used drill press speed charts will tell you that a 1/2" bit should be run in hardwood at 750-1000 rpm.

At 2000-3000 rpm, not only are you in an unsafe mode, but with bits that large you run the risk of heat stress (loss of temper), and you increase the risk of blowing up those thin-wall valuable blanks.

Just a word of caution...now all of you do as you please. I'm not here to lecture.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Sometimes I think instructions from some companies are translated from the original Sanskrit. I recently called CSUSA about some very confusing dimensions given in instructions for their bushings. The tech support guy told me flat-out "ignore the instructions". Go figger.

patrick_1853

Yep, this cost me a wooden pen vise. I was drilling out a El Grande and forgot to lower the speed (I was a newbie at the time) and accidently let the bit hit the clamp. It swung that thing around and ripped a huge chunk out of one side. Granted this was a berea kit, and it was my stupidity instead of instructions, but if my hand had been on the back side of that vise where it usually is to hold the clamp in place, it probably would have been broken when it slapped around and into the drill press stand. So they definitely need to change these instructions.

Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom