Woodworkers Pencil Kit Problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I received my latest goodie box today from CSUSA. Included in the box were the Woodworkers Pencils I had decided to try out. I thought that after reading the instructions it sounded simple enough for a kit with no tube.

The instructions state a few details that I followed. The instructions call for a 1x1x5 blank. Reading deeper into the instructions they ask for the blank to be 4 9/16â€. It also states that I am to treat the end into the wood and use either epoxy or thick CA, so I imagined that I would actually manually thread the hardware into the end, unthread it, apply glue and then rethread.

Things were very different.

I drilled the blank I chose, cutting it back to 4 9/16â€. I then turned it using the bushings provided, turning the writing tip flush to the bushing. I then tried to fit the hard ware and discover two things that I was not pleased with.

First, the turned wood was under diameter to the hardware even though I turned it to the bushing. I used a vernier caliper and measured the hardware diameter, it was 0.495â€, the bushings were measured at 0.453, the instructions called them out as 0.466.

Second, the hardware did not engage the wood, it rattled inside the 10 mm hole. I measured the hole, it was 10.1mm.

Oh there was a third, the instructions called for a blank 4 9/16†long, well the hardware is not long enough to extend out of the end of the pencil body at that length, so I cut the length of the turned pencil, by eye….salvaged the tip by measuring it with calipers and just left it drying in the shop with a healthy application of epoxy on the threads…..I sure hope it engages.

So, any tips from people who have walked this mile ahead of me……what did I do wrong, the instruction sheet is . This was not fun![B)][B)][B)]

200641912214_050-5000.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Jim - here's a link to my post about this sucker from mid last year. You might want to read the whole thread. http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?ARCHIVE=true&TOPIC_ID=6919&whichpage=2#70041

PenWorks

Jim, they have finally got the design right in the Sketcher pencil. It has a tube and a threaded bushing which really makes it much easier to make, the right way. Lou was never a fan of the original, I liked it because I sold it, dispite the short comings of the kit. The thing that bothered me is, the new kits that are being sent out are the shorter pencil mechanisms, the same size as the Sketcher. The original kits had longer mechanisms and needed a longer blank and made a nice longer pencil. Why this was changed and no notice given is beyond me. As for your assembly problems, well that was part of the short comings. I have yet to have one returned, but using CA to hold the mechanism in the end, just doesn't seem right, but it does work. I would still buy them and make them if they were longer like the original, but if not, I will stay with the Sketcher oness.

OSCAR15

Anyone have experience with the similar pencil kit sold by PSI? I was thinking of getting it, but after reading this thread, I am not so sure.....

bdar

Jim one thing I did for the woodworkers pencil was after I drilled the hole I cut a 10mm tube to fit to length minus the threaded end of the pencil and you have a nice snug fit for the mechanism. I also have a mandrel to fit the inside diameter of the 10 mm tube and made some flush fitting bushes instead.
Darren

KenV

The deluxe woodworkers pencil uses two tubes and a center connector. I the woodworkers pencil is the same as the deluxe wood workers pencil. I got extra tubes and use them. I do not especially like center connectors on hte deluxe woodworkers pencil or the PSI 2mm power pencil so assemble the tubes and center connector and grind the brass center fitting down flush with the tubes. The resulting connected tube is 4 inches in both cases. I do put the top hexagonal trim on the top of the deluxe woodworkers pencil. The artist sketch pencil is a little shorter and better fitted with a single threaded tube.

For woodworkers pencil cut the blank to 4 inches and glue in spare tubes. Turn using calipers, and you get a decent pencil. Note that one of the tubes is threaded to hold the pencil clutch mechanism. I have not installed one wrong (yet) but see the potential.

Blessings

fuzzydog

This is one kit that throws my panties in a bunch faster than anything.

CSUSA SCREWED UP !!!!!!!

Now I'll cool my jets and explain. They offer two Woodworkers pencil kits. One is a 1 piece kit (part # 050-5000) and a 2 piece kit (part # 050-5015).

Jim is talking and shows the 1 piece kit in his orginal posting. CSUSA sends the instruction kit Copyrighted 2004, however if you look at their web site and download the instructions they are copyrighted 2005. Both have some serious problems but the 2005 version is at least in the ball park. If you recieved and use the 2004 you might as well throw the blank away and start over. (Be sure and factor that lose into your overall cost.)

The problem with the 2005 instructions: (I wish I knew how to imbed images and you could compare them, but I don't so I will type out the quotes)

"CUTTING: Select a blank that is 1" X 1" x 4 1/2". This is slightly oversize to allow for trimming later on."

dropping down the page to trimming it reads:

"TRIMMING: The final trimmed blank should be 3 7/8" long for proper assembly. Use a barrel trimmer with an adapter blank to square the ends of the blank. This is the fastest and most accurate method of ensuring a proper fit. You may also use a disc sander to carefully sand the ends square until the blank is 3 7/8" long."

NO!! THE FASTEST WAY TO TRIM 5/8" OFF THE BLANK IS TO CUT IT.

WAKE UP CRAFT SUPPLY AND WHEN A CUSTOMER USES YOUR ON LINE "CONTACT US" PAGE AT LEAST HAVE THE COURTESY TO REPLY.

I email Nils who responded right away and tried to help but I still feel that CS dropped the ball.

I'm going to cool off, go to the shop take a couple of pictures and show you what I mean.

Follow Up.

I spoke with Ben today at CSUSA and comunicated my story to him.

he also found that measuring the in stock bushings were smaller in diameter than the hardware on the kit, by almost as much as I found out, but less.

Ben also told me that they were working on a new instruction sheet for the kit. I was not aware that there was a different instruction sheet on line than what was included in my package. I do admit I was about to feel like I had lost the blank, but I slowed down and found a way to save it.

On Anthony's lead in his post(Thank You [:)]) it was also clear to me that the kit is not the same one now as it was some time ago, it is now shorter and the image used on the CSUSA web page does not match the hardware I have now either.

My process last night of using epoxy to fill the gap worked, kind of.

The epxoy despite my careful application found it's way into the mechanism of the pencil and I had to forcefully open and close it to get it to work..it's not 100% right, but functional.

Ben confirmed that they need to get bushings that match the current hardware and that CSUSA was now aware of this...

I still am not 100% happy with the hardware fit to the hole diameter drilled, but the brass tube idea will be on my next pencil, as well as using my calipers for sizing.

Thanks for all your responses, it helped me to understand things better and also I was able to share this post with Ben at CSUSA so they were able to get feedback on your experiences..

Let's hope for some improvements I trust they will come through

Thanks Ben again.

[:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom