( Woodturningz ) Simstone

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Silverado

( Woodturningz )Simstone

Has Anyone used the new Simstone from Woodturningz??

If so how does it compare to Tru-stone?

Thanks,
Tim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Too early to tell, but I bought two from another respected supplier (white, veined marble) and loved the looks of it. I had difficulty turning it despite using some very sharp skews. I wound-up blowing the one of the barrels. I found that I had to apply too much pressure which surprised me given how sharp my skews were.

I still have the other blank and a very nicely finish upper barrel of a cigar pen.

At this point, I would not blame the blank.

It did finish very nicely though. Perhaps, carbide would have been a better choice...I don't know. I hope this helps.

CREID

Too early to tell, but I bought two from another respected supplier (white, veined marble) and loved the looks of it. I had difficulty turning it despite using some very sharp skews. I wound-up blowing the one of the barrels. I found that I had to apply too much pressure which surprised me given how sharp my skews were.

I still have the other blank and a very nicely finish upper barrel of a cigar pen.

At this point, I would not blame the blank.

It did finish very nicely though. Perhaps, carbide would have been a better choice...I don't know. I hope this helps.

Sounds like it's time for a tutone cigar pen. Maybe Tommy would like it.

Curt

TonyL

Yes Ed. That was it. I watched the video but did not account for the density nor reduce my expectation to tuning it down to size quickly. Had I remembered what I learned from the video, I would have two nicely finished barrels :).

It's a very nice material and finishes beautifully.

Top Bottom