WoodTurningz Orion Roller Ball Kit Issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

crokett

I was assembling an Orion Rollerball today that I got from WoodTurningz. I've made 18 or so of these kits. I ran into an issue where the cap would not screw on tightly. The kit has 2 pieces for the cap - the top finial and the part that the ink screws into.

the part the ink screws into comes as one piece but is actually two pieces. It has a sleeve with threads glued into a trim ring. I eventually diagnosed it to the threaded sleeve coming loose. I was able to punch the finial out and got the sleeve out. I epoxied it in, I guess we'll see if I got any on the threads.

I checked the other two kits I got from them, they were the same way. I'll superglue those before I use them. This is the first time I've seen this, and I haven't gotten any callbacks. Has anyone else had this problem?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

I am delighted that you made 18; I couldn't get any right, I would call the folks at WTZ.

crokett

Actually they are one of the kits I like to do the most. Customers seem to like them also. I will call them early next week.

While I'm thinking about it, suggestions on a similar kit you like? It needs to be a rollerball.

TonyL

Actually they are one of the kits I like to do the most. Customers seem to like them also. I will call them early next week.

I have two left, I am going to give another try!

The Citizen (Dayacom) is a very nice kit and some finishes are offered in the mid to high teens.

zig613

In a budget rollerball, I like the Baron and Virage kits, and so do my clients.

I don't suppose you could measure the baron/virage bushings? I see they take the same diameter tube as the Orion, I want to see if they can use the same bushings.

The upper cap bushings for the Baron is 13.5 mm and the lower barrel is 12.1 mm. Source http://www.penblanks.ca/instructions/english/Baron.pdf

For the Virage rollerball is 13.5 (cap) and 11.5 (barrel). Source http://www.penblanks.ca/instructions/english/VirageRollerFountain.pdf

Wade

Last edited:

crokett

Thanks Fritz, I'm good and in future if I make these kits I'll pull the center band apart and reglue with superglue before I assemble the pen. I did that with one over the weekend and after gluing it back together I wasn't able to make it fail.

Top Bottom