"From the woodshop of ..." insert card ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Hi everyone,

In my pen cases that I give as gifts, I'd like to include some information for the recipient. I was thinking that a little business card would be the best bet.

What would you put on the card?

Here's what I was thinking:

Side 1:
"From the woodshop of xxxxx"
"Each writing instrument is hand turned individually on my lathe. They are made from the highest quality exotic woods, acrylics, or horns. The turned instruments are then sanded with a series of abrasives and a durable high gloss finish is applied. Each pen takes around two hours to make. No two pens are the same."

Side 2:
"This pen is made from _______________"
"This pen takes refill _________________"

What do you guys think? Anything else you would add? I know two hours sounds crazy but that's about what it takes me. I go very slow. Just a hobby for me.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MarkD

I include a business card with each pen and on the back I include a description of the pen, materials used and refill.
I personally would not include the time it takes to make the pen. It opens it up for lots of questions regarding price and other things that are not specific to all the items.

You all would take that out even though this is purely for hobby/gifts? My fear is that the recipient wouldn't recognize or appreciate the time and effort it takes to make these pens. I wouldn't want my coworkers to think I was "cheap" by giving them something I made.

Akula

Taking out the time allows you to talk up your items and answer questions.

I give a card.

It states who the pen was made for, what material was used and my name. On the back, I write down the refill and anything asked while talking about the item.

MarkD

I guess you didn't define how many cards you were going to make up. If your making a few cards at a time and you presently spent 2 hours on a pen and want the recipients to know that then put it on the card( although I would personally not). if your having many cards printed up ( I usually get 500 printed ) I would leave it off. A month from now you may be making pens that take 4 hours to make, or you may start selling pens in which case I wouldn't want it on there.
Just my two cents :)

Trees2Pens

Good idea

The card is a good idea and I agree that amount of time isn't really needed. Handcrafted is what I feel is important.

My YouTube videos on pen making are around 6 minutes, I would hope viewers realize that the pen took longer than that.

John :)

Okay, you have all convinced me. I'll take out the bit about taking two hours.

What do you include about pen care? I don't even know about pen care...

stonepecker

Take the "time" out. It doesn't matter if it take 2 hours or 2 days or 2 weeks.
What matters is that it is "Hand crafted".
If it is a gift or hobby.........it is the fact that YOU made it just for them.

Pen care.....Avoid high temps. Don't leave it in the sun. Don't drop. Wipe with a clean cloth.

Last edited:

Alex D

On pen care, for wood pens, particularly ones finished with CA, I usually put in something about avoiding temperature extremes and sudden temperature changes. Sort of a polite way of recommending that they don't leave them in the car.

Alex

butchf18a

Yes to all the other advice. I track my pens with an inventory number, i include that number on the card so i can go back if necessary. I sign each card with, "this card signed using your pen." Only exception would be fountain pen.

Jmoicbw-bidi

Top Bottom