Woods from Vietnam

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

farmer

My Surgeon was born in Vietnam, nice man ,,, saved my life more times then what I can count.

I wish to make a pen for him from the best exotic woods ( Native to Vietnam ).

I looked up trees native to Vietnam , but the woods names I know are not the same as the ones used in information to the trees native to Vietnam.

Hopefully I have some of these woods already in stock.

I ( think ) Black and White ebony is native to Vietnam , I believe it is native to Laos and Vietnam but I don't know for sure .....
I wish to make the pen as pretty as possible, and insanely figured wood native to Vietnam is the materials I wish to make the pen out of.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Mun Ebony might be a possibility. It's native to Vietnam & Laos, but most of what's commercially available that I've seen seems to come from Laos. If the exact origin of a particular piece is not critical, you might check it out.

Griffin Exotic Wood has some very nice specimens listed at $5.50 each
Mun or Moon Ebony from Griffin Exotic Wood

If you decide to order from them, I would send them an email to confirm if a particular blank is available before sending an order and to make sure that you get the exact blank that you want.

I have ordered from them several times in the past and have always been pleased with their service & blanks.

farmer

Wood

Mun Ebony might be a possibility. It's native to Vietnam & Laos, but most of what's commercially available that I've seen seems to come from Laos. If the exact origin of a particular piece is not critical, you might check it out.

Griffin Exotic Wood has some very nice specimens listed at $5.50 each
Mun or Moon Ebony from Griffin Exotic Wood

If you decide to order from them, I would send them an email to confirm if a particular blank is available before sending an order and to make sure that you get the exact blank that you want.

I have ordered from them several times in the past and have always been pleased with their service & blanks.

Thank you .

Yes I have some Mun Ebony coming in .

I have to say this thread went extremely well

One of the members here sent me a PM , he just happened to have a selection of seasoned exotics woods that was native to Vietnam.

Much much more then ever expected , the wood I have coming in is extremely rare and seasoned with a cool history ..

Exactly what I needed to make a very special pen.

Thank you for your help ,
And thank you to the member who Pm ed me .

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I was able to throw Farmer a lifeline!

An Estate Sale this past summer from a pen turner in Columbus, Ohio (we suspect a non-IAP member).

163 different species, 4,000+ blanks. Some common, some very seldom seen. Most purchased between 2005-2008 off of Ebay and other sites.

The individual was retired Air Force (Vietnam era), and had hand-labeled almost 90% of those blanks.

A few were labeled Laos Rosewood (from Vietnam and Laos); New Guinea Walnut; and Mun (Moon) Ebony (also from Vietnam and Laos).

The membership will hear more of this IAP project soon (ssshush).

farmer

Thank you

I was able to throw Farmer a lifeline!

An Estate Sale this past summer from a pen turner in Columbus, Ohio (we suspect a non-IAP member).

163 different species, 4,000+ blanks. Some common, some very seldom seen. Most purchased between 2005-2008 off of Ebay and other sites.

The individual was retired Air Force (Vietnam era), and had hand-labeled almost 90% of those blanks.

A few were labeled Laos Rosewood (from Vietnam and Laos); New Guinea Walnut; and Mun (Moon) Ebony (also from Vietnam and Laos).

The membership will hear more of this IAP project soon (ssshush).

I can only humbly say thank you so very much Mark .
Way cool how you came across this wood and then offering me some .
Thank you ..

Top Bottom