Woods from Asia...Ideas

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

bca1313

My uncle has lived in Indonesia and Hong Kong for most of his adult life. Over Christmas while he was in the States he saw some of the pens I made and it reminded him of my Grandpa who was always working in the shop.

I would like to make him a pen as a gift, most likely a Jr. Emperor or Jr. Statesman. I would like to use a wood that is unique to the area he lives.

I am not the most up to date on wood types and origins so I was hoping for suggestions.

Any help is appreciated.

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

There is a lot of very nice wood from SE Asia: Amboyna burl, Asian Ebony, Afzelia burl, Zitan, Padauk, to name only a few.

BigRob777

I've been trying to get bamboo boards, for pen blanks for 6 months, but can't seem to find anyone who will answer my e-mails. Mostly they want people to buy $1,000.00 at a time. Anyway, here's a quote from:
http://wfi.worldforestrycenter.org/WF-indo.htm --"the light hardwood Meranti species is the most important hardwood due to its great demand in world markets and its abundance and accessibility (it is Indonesia's dominant wood species). Timber estates which supply the pulp and paper industries generally produce fast growing species like Pine, Eucalyptus, Albizia, and Acacia." I also read about the palm, like Joe mentioned, but it didn't seem limited to black.

Rob

LEAP

The bamboo is readily available as cutting boards in some walmarts and big grocery chains. I just picked up an 18 x 24 inch board a little over 5/8ths thick for $9. I also found some bamboo flooring scraps at a wood flooring store. My youngest daughter is a Panda fan and wanted a bamboo pen.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
All good ideas, and everyone loves amboyna, but take a look at this link. http://cgi.ebay.com/Fat-Indonesian-Coconut-Palm-Pen-Blanks-081_W0QQitemZ330069883347QQihZ014QQcategoryZ71234QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

tnilmerl

Teak from that area, but doesn't stand out from the crowd. You can try mun ebony, has a iridescent quality. Eucalyptus burl is very nice as well. Maidou burl is similar to amboyna in color and grain. I think flamewood is from that area too. Have to check, but I think narra is from that area also.

wudnhed

I just turned my first Mun Ebony the other day and it's very pretty, sanded up nicely too. I love Amboyna tho I haven't tried any yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom