Woodcraft VS PSI

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dutra

Hi, Ive been turning pens since March, made aout a dozen. So far ive been getting supplies from Woodcraft ( also where i bought me delta midi lathe). I like the pen kits from woodcraft, good quality and all, but i noticed the PSI kits are cheaper and i was wondering how the quality is compared to Woodcraft.

Any help is appreciated,
-Dutra

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Over here our Woodcraft is a PSI reseller. I like some of the PSI kits I find the quality about the same. I like to use my local Woodcraft for picking blanks because you can choose the ones you want which is nice when you are buying nice burl blanks.

blade.white

1960 Diplomat View, Colorado Springs, CO 80905
Supplies

Honestly, if you want a good deal on pen kits you will have to shop around. Here is a list of some site to check out:
beartoothwoods.com
arizonasilhouette.com
woodturnerscatalog.com

These are just a few, there are alot more if you go to the links button up top. I think I shop from about 10 different companies. Plus some companies will carry kits that others don't.:rolleyes:

I started with PSI and like their kits much better. I have bought a few at the local Woodcraft but prefer PSI. You should also check out components from Berea Hardwood and Craft Supply USA. You will also find that there are some resellers such as Exotic Blanks and Arizonia Silhouettes who sell kits from these companies cheaper than you can buy them directly from the companies.

Woodlvr

A couple more suggestions. Woodnwhimsiesdotcom, exoticblanksdotcom, woodturningz.com. Most of our vendors seem to be developing their own exclusive kits. Some nice variations on kits giving us more kits to choose from.

BKelley

I use a variety of sources for pen kits and blanks. Both local and mail-order. I really enjoy going into my local Woodcraft store to shop. They resale a lot of Penn State kits and the price is a little higher, but I get to look at the kits and handle them. To me this is a plus. Also the blanks, I like to sort thru the blanks and pick the ones I like the best. Another plus for my local Woodcraft store is their personel. They are knowledgeable, friendly, and always glad to help. To me, it is always a lot nicer to deal with a real person than a voice on the phone or punching in a number on the computer.

Ben

renowb

I have a Woodcraft several miles away. The kits to me are more expensive. But of course, when I order by mail, I pay shipping too. I usually go to Woodcraft when I absolutely have to have it today. Otherwise, I order from the vendors here.

Hess

i get blanks from Woodcraft psi is slow to deliver so I use Ryan at Woodturninz they sell almost all of PSI line and a bit cheaper.
The next one I use is Smithy over and over

Ed at Exotics has been great also

I get my Tur stone from R and B the lowest I have found

MSGMP

Just my two cents

I have a Woodcraft about an hour away and that is where I started turning pens. I have used several vendors, both on this site and others such as CSUSA, Berea and PSI. Personally, I find PSI hit or miss. I prefer Woodcraft slimlines, euros, cigar pens and wall streets. The finish seems to hold up better and the components seem better. The Woodcraft here does not resell PSI but appears to carry a lot of Berea stuff. As I said, just my two cents.

Top Bottom