Woodcraft store experience today (rant)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Tonto

I had a half an hour and was close to the Bloomington, MN store AND had small amount of cash burning a hole in my pocket. I hit the kit rack and found an amazing assortment of stuff marked with the most illegible labels making it almost impossible to browse. I found a pair of kits I wanted to try, needed bushings and couldn't find them (similarly hidden and marked with small font labels) Found two Shop pencil kits and bushings that I always wanted to try and bugged out, after failing to get service from the one poor worker who was fielding the calls and checking folks out. I'm back to buying online exclusively.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

Been there done that. Keep in mind the nearest is a 2 hour 1 way drive for me. First time it was alright and had no complaints. The second trip I felt like I was being ignored and the wife even commented on it. Asked for a set of bushings for a cigar pen and they hand me a set of bushings with no price. I ask how much they were and the said 18.00 dollars. I started laughing, laid them down and have not returned. Won't be frequenting that store anytime soon.

Texatdurango

I never understand these posts, what do they accomplish? Don't tell us, tell the store manager. That's the only way things will ever change!

My Woodcraft store is a GREAT place to hang out and shop, everyone knows me by name and I know all of their names. Of course all of the employees there are woodworkers, four are turners and three are fellow pen turners so that helps.

DanD23

I am with you George.

My local store is my favorite place to hang out. There are always at least 2 or 3 people working, they know me by name, they offer suggestions when they get new kits or blanks, always have hot coffee (free hot coffee, the best kind). It is also the place where I started turning, especially pens with classes and seminars all the time.

Adding my accolades to Georges and Dan.. Never go into Knoxville without stopping in at WC.. don't always buy, but always enjoy visiting. Even my wife likes to go in and look around and she doesn't know a bushing from a skew. But she loves to pick out pen blanks for me... and they host the local wood turners club, which I'm not a member, but plan to attend this month and check them out.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
My only Woodcraft experience was at the store in Harrisburg, PA. There was a lady working there who was most helpful. Although it is about 2 hours away, I likely will stop by next time I am in Harrisburg.

Jarheaded

I guess it is these times that the local owner calls me and asks if I will come down and give him a hand. They should never be that short handed or give a price without checking the computer first. I have never seen just one person in the store at any time. I am just upset that I can't get the discount that Mike got on the group buy from Woodcraft.:)

ahoiberg

it all depends on your manager i guess. if they're into it for the wrong reasons, you're bound to get employees that are also. i'm sorry to hear that tonto, maybe next time (assuming there is one) will be better. IMHO woodcraft isn't the greatest place in the world to get pen stuff, a tad pricey... but to each his/her own.

karlkuehn

Banned
The WC in Downingtown, PA is great, too. Last time I was there they were handing out free lathes to those that wanted them, it was awesome! I grabbed a Rikon mini and I asked why for free, and they said something about promoting wood sales, hoping that those who got the lathes would be back to buy wood and attend classes. It was amazing, and all I had to do was buy one $260 cigar kit. *snickers*

This week they're giving out free drill presses with every blank purchase! They're really something! [:p]

When's the next liar's club contest?

stevers

Good one Karl.
My nearest WC is 5 hours away. I wish I had one anywhere near close to me. I'd probably live in it for the first month. Even thought about opening a franchise, but I don't have $500,000. Anyone care to spot me the $$$

karlkuehn

Banned
Wow, for a half million, you could just start your own store, who needs a franchise?

How does 'Stevecraft' grab you? [:p]

You need to put in bar stools so us lurkers can come drink coffee and annoy you all day. heh

stevers

Sounds like a plan, when can I pick up the check buddy, I mean partner?

On the WC web site, there is a link about franchise possibilities. I went way into it and one of the things they want to see is a lot of capital. And a lot of complicated paper work. Way over my head.

Daddy1

I have to agree with those who love hanging out at wc. I go there all the time and I feel like Norm from Cheers. I walk in the door and they call out my name. I know most of them by name as well. I am fortunate, my wc is 5 minutes away. Sometimes I will just go to show off a pen and they always make a big deal about them.

I don't get this kind of attention anywhere else. One Saturday, I went in with my 7 year old son and they put an apron on him and took his picture and he just LOVED IT. I just hope with this economy they will stay forever.

Talk to the manager, something doesn't sound right if only one person was working.

airrat

I enjoy going to the WC near me, its only 15 min away. However, I generally do not buy much from them due to I can always find it cheaper online.

JWW

My last trip to WC was about two years ago when the salesman left me to greet, and call by first name, another customer. His remark to me, "I have another customer let me see what he wants". That was not my first experience there but my last. Similar snubs had occurred before when I was ignored while the sales people drooled over other customers looking at large, expensive items. I never had a chance to be one of those "other" customers.

I tend to look at how EVERYONE is treated by a store and when I did finally purchase my lathe, drill press, jointer, planer, sanding station and tools, you can bet they didn't come from WC.

I don't mind being treated like everyone else as long as we're all treated the same, but that's just one of my idiosyncrasies.

Again, I think we are talking about individuals and individual management styles, rather than the company itself... I have nothing but good things to say about the WC store in Knoxville... it's about an hour from me and I make a point of stopping most times I'm in K'ville... and I agree, sometimes WC can be a little pricy..

For a short time I worked in a big box store in another part of TN... the management always touted customer service, customer service, etc... but I actually got reprimanded because I spent "too much time" with a couple that were remodeling their summer cabin and asking questions and checking on techniques, etc... they had half a cart full of merchandise, but because we talked for about 30 minutes, the area manager made a comment about how much time I spent with them. I know that I get very talky sometimes, but before I retired, I was the export manager for a large packing company and the only REAL product we sold was customer service... If my customers didn't like us or didn't feel we gave them the attention they wanted, they went somewhere else...

Varinokid

My woodcraft store experience was pretty good. (Fort Wayne, IN...an hour south of me) 1st time I went in there, there was 3 people working 2 in the floor area and one in the back area where they teach few lessons and etc. One came to me asking if they could be of an assistance and I had alot of questions about the pen turning. This older guy was very friendly and gave me undivided attention and even showed me how one would turn down a square blank to a round one using a rough gouge. I prolly spent an hour there that day. The 2nd trip wasn't so pleasant. Just one employee and he was just lazy. Sat on his butt and didn't offer help. I asked where to find calipers..he just pointed one way while he was playing on the computer. The 3rd trip, much better but not as good as 1st. Just depends on the employee(s). Just get the employee's name and then call the store manager/region manager and report it. Simple as that.

Top Bottom