Woodcraft Puzzle Inlay Kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBeck

Hi all, I've started working on the Wallstreet II/Elegant puzzle inlay kit I bought from woodcraft. I'm waiting on the universal blank squaring jig I ordered from PSI to arrive before I move onto the next step, but I have the puzzle pieces glued up to the tubes (I'm making two pens). The question I have is that the puzzle pieces don't overhang the tube so the tube will have to be shortened a bit on both ends to square the blanks. Will this mean that the tube will be too short and the hardware not fit correctly on the blank? How critical is the tube length on the Wallstreet II/Sierra/Elegant?

These are expensive kits and I'm going to be upset if the fit is not right. But since both blanks are the exact same way, I assume it's done on purpose and there won't be an issue with fit. Anyone else done these kits yet? Thanks.

John

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JBeck

It's probably a total of about 1/16th" total tube length. I left a little on both ends so that I could get both ends square. I took apart an elegant sierra that I use, and I may be wrong, but it doesn't look like the tube length will be all that critical. I guess I'll find out when my squaring jig come from PSI and can square it up and put it on the lathe.

John

bruce119

If I am not mistaken the Elegant & the Sierra are 2 different kits. The Elegant looks similar to a Sierra but has a smaller diameter tube giving you a thicker wall. But I am not that familiar with the Elegant. On the other hand The Sierra/Wall St II the length is not critical you can easily get away with + - 1/16" even 1/8". I was going to say make sure you don't have a Sierra click kit as the tube is about a 1/4" longer.

I never worked with a puzzle kit so I can't help. What does Woodcraft have to say I would ask them.

Bruce

JBeck

The packaging for the puzzle kit says right on it Wall St II/Elegant. I don't think the tube length is any different between Wall St II and Elegant. I know the click tube length is longer and I know I don't have that. Anyway, my squaring jig came today so I will find out soon.

John

bruce119

The packaging for the puzzle kit says right on it Wall St II/Elegant. I don't think the tube length is any different between Wall St II and Elegant. I know the click tube length is longer and I know I don't have that. Anyway, my squaring jig came today so I will find out soon.

John

I was thinking the Elegant Beauty I got some from Aaron at Lau Lau Woodworks he must have got them from Daycom.

After some poking around Woodcraft wall st II also the Berea Elegant Beauty Sierra takes the same tubes as a standard wall st II or Sierra.

I like http://laulauwood.com/default.asp elegant beauty better has the same look but takes a smaller diameter tube giving you a thicker wall that I like.

Any way just clearing that up. Now I know

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Any difference of 1/16" total or less will not make a difference. Be careful when squaring these kits. I generally square them by hand. Just put a pice of sandpaper on a flat surface (like glass) and slowly sand down to the correct dimensions. Using a barrel trimmer in a drill, drill press of using a power sander may cause the kit to slow up. DAMHIKT.

JBeck

I just came from the shop and I just finished the first pen. It turned out real good and the slightly shorter tube made no difference. I dressed it in satin with chrome. Really turned out great, the satin/chrome really makes the wood in the inlay pop. I'll post pictures sometime this weekend when I set up my photo tent again. Thanks for all the input!

John

alphageek

Former Moderator
I just came from the shop and I just finished the first pen. It turned out real good and the slightly shorter tube made no difference. I dressed it in satin with chrome. Really turned out great, the satin/chrome really makes the wood in the inlay pop. I'll post pictures sometime this weekend when I set up my photo tent again. Thanks for all the input!

John

Good for you ... I put one of the autism puzzle pens onto that satin/chrome from wc (or was is the chrome/satin?).. I agree I like that kit.

Dean

Top Bottom