Woodcraft Navigator threads?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dl351

Has anyone here had any problems with the black coating wearing off of the threads of Woodcraft's Navigator pens? If so, are there any remedies/fixes for this? Thanks for any help.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dl351

Are there other pens that use the same drill bits? The first Navigator I made was my first sale, and I've only made two others, so I'd hate to stop making these kits and have two worthless drill bits, bushings, and pen mill adapters.

jskeen

well, the smaller of the mill adapters is the same as a cigar pen I believe. I also seem to recall that the original jr gent 1 (not the current jr gent 2 sold by csusa, exotic blanks and rockler) is actually identical to the baron, but I would not try it before some careful measuring. I believe that Chasper advertised some JG1's for sale here recently. HOWEVER, I don't know for sure what the threads on the kits he is selling are made of/coated with. They may have the same issue, or may not.

Beyond that the sedona kit uses the same tubes as the baron, but I believe also has the same black epoxy coated threads. I hear the PSI tycoon also uses the same accessories, but have not tried one.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Are there other pens that use the same drill bits? The first Navigator I made was my first sale, and I've only made two others, so I'd hate to stop making these kits and have two worthless drill bits, bushings, and pen mill adapters.

Well dl, sometimes giving up on $20 worth of bits is cheaper than having pens returned to you (if you are selling them).

Keep all your specialty bits in one drawer--you'll be amazed when, one day, someone comes out with a NEW kit that uses one of your "stored bits".

(Trouble is, someday it will take MULTIPLE drawers----DAMHIKT!!):biggrin::biggrin:
Welcome to the "wonderful world of specialty pen tools!!"

Mark

According to the Tube & Bushing sheet: These all share the same bit sizes.

Baron Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Tycoon Screw Cap RB & FP
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Navigator Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Baron Tropical Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Navigator Tropical Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Sedona Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Sedona Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Russianwolf

According to the Tube & Bushing sheet: These all share the same bit sizes.

Baron Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Tycoon Screw Cap RB & FP
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Navigator Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Baron Tropical Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Navigator Tropical Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Sedona Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Sedona Screw Cap RB
15/32"
10 mm or 25/64"

Problem is, I know all of those kits use the same black enamel coated threading. The Tycoon I'm not sure of, but the Baron/Navigator/Sedona are all identical on all platings when it comes to the threads.

Like Ed said, toss the bits in the "waiting for a use" drawer and switch to the Jr. series since the Titanium and Rhodium plated ones use threads plated with matching metal instead of the black enamel.

DurocShark

Waxing the threads will extend the life of the thread finish. But ultimately, yeah, they brass out after a while.

dl351

Thanks for your help, guys. What is the closest pen to a Navigator that doesn't have coated threads, but is similarly priced?

Oh, and given that a Navigator was my first sale not too long ago, should I email the customer to find out if he has any problems with the threads? It was a black titanium Navigator with HRB from Nolan. I feel like I should send an email to the customer and offer to replace it with a different pen if he has problems with the thread. Is there really any good reason not to email him? Thanks again for your help.

toddlajoie

Another option, if you start making the Navigator in a closed end pen (our local WC store has started carrying closed end mandrels for slims and Navs) you will quickly have a surplus of spare threads from the end caps that you don't use for closed end. So if a customer returns with the threads wearing, you can just swap out a new set. If you don't plan on doing closed ends, you could always ask if anyone who does has any to spare (I just started doing closed ends, and I've got 5 spares right now and would gladly give them to anyone who needs...)

The only thing I know of in the range of the Nav with uncoated threads is the Jr. Gent (a little bigger), often a little cheaper than the Nav, and available in more platings and non-postable form also. I'm sure there may be others, but I've not come across one yet..

Waxing the threads was mentioned, What kind of wax are we talking about, and how do you apply it?

Last edited:

dl351

So I looked up the Jr. Gents and have a couple questions about those. Are the black threads on those just black plastic, thus avoiding the coating problem? Also, CSUSA says that the drill bits required are 12.5 and 10.5 mm bits, but Rockler says that 31/64 and 13/32 inch drill bits are needed. When I did the conversion, the Rockler recommendation comes out to 12.3 and 10.3 mm. Will these bits work, rather than the 12.5 and 10.5? I have 31/64 and 13/32 bits, so all I would need is bushings. Thanks again for all of your help.

Russianwolf

So I looked up the Jr. Gents and have a couple questions about those. Are the black threads on those just black plastic, thus avoiding the coating problem? Also, CSUSA says that the drill bits required are 12.5 and 10.5 mm bits, but Rockler says that 31/64 and 13/32 inch drill bits are needed. When I did the conversion, the Rockler recommendation comes out to 12.3 and 10.3 mm. Will these bits work, rather than the 12.5 and 10.5? I have 31/64 and 13/32 bits, so all I would need is bushings. Thanks again for all of your help.

For the Jr's from CSUSA, The cheapest Gold kits have the same black enamel that the Baron does. The Gold Ti, Black Ti, and Rhodium kits are matching metals threads.

Yes, the drill bits will work. I actually have a 100+ bit set and use my calipers to pick the bits that I want, I ignore all instructions now.

soligen

and use my calipers to pick the bits that I want.

Ditto. I have a set in 1/64 increments. Its a cheap set - $10 or 15 or so at Harbor Freight. I bought good bits for the sizes I use most, but for trying a new kit or occational use, these work as long as I dont have to nail the center of the blank exactly. I made a very nice Jr Gent with bits from this set.

ldb2000

dl , the Jr Gent that CSUSA carries is the Jr Gent II the one that everyone else is talking about is the Jr Gent I which is the same as a Baron and uses the same drill bits and bushings .

dl351

dl , the Jr Gent that CSUSA carries is the Jr Gent II the one that everyone else is talking about is the Jr Gent I which is the same as a Baron and uses the same drill bits and bushings .

Maybe, but I was referring to the current Jr. Gent II. It seems Rockler sells the Jr. Gent II, but recommends English unit bits, while CSUSA recommends metric bits. The bits I have that Rockler recommends are one from a PSI Olympian II, and one from the Navigator.

Right now, I'm thinking I should just get the 12.5 and 10.5 mm bits and a couple Jr. Gent II kits (as well as bushings and mill spacer). It seems there are a lot of kits that require the 12.5 and 10.5 mm bits, so I should be able to get a lot of use out of them. We'll see though. I'm undecided at the moment.

toddlajoie

I was also referring to the Jr Gent II, I've only ever ordered the Gold Titanium, so I was unaware of the standard gold having the same coated threads...

ldb2000

Right now, I'm thinking I should just get the 12.5 and 10.5 mm bits and a couple Jr. Gent II kits (as well as bushings and mill spacer). It seems there are a lot of kits that require the 12.5 and 10.5 mm bits, so I should be able to get a lot of use out of them. We'll see though. I'm undecided at the moment.

There are several that use those drill bits and mill sleeves but bushings are slighty different for some (you can use the same bushings but have to measure diameters with a caliper for correct sizing of barrels) .
Jr Gent II
Jr Statesman II
Jr Retro
Majestic Jr
Emperor Jr (tube length is slightly different IIRC but are same diameter)
Broadwell Nouveau Sceptre

There might be one or two more .

Russianwolf

There are several that use those drill bits and mill sleeves but bushings are slighty different for some (you can use the same bushings but have to measure diameters with a caliper for correct sizing of barrels) .
Jr Gent II
Jr Statesman II
Jr Retro
Majestic Jr
Emperor Jr (tube length is slightly different IIRC but are same diameter)
Broadwell Nouveau Sceptre

There might be one or two more .

Add the Stretch from LauLau and the Panache.

Top Bottom