woodcraft mandrel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dfurlano

I remember someone mentioning that Woodcraft's mandrels are different then the PSI mandrel. But I forgot if it was the threads in the shaft or the angle of the recess on the where the live center goes.

Anyone know?

Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scott

Hi Dan,

It may be that the PSI mandrel is thinner. Of all the mandrel shafts out there, I think PSI's shaft specs out consistently thinner than all the rest. We're not talking a very big margin here. But if you're using a PSI mandrel and Woodcraft bushings, and you notices a little slop in the bushings, I would jump to the conclusion (correctly or not) that it was because of the thinner PSI mandrel. Conversely, if you are using PSI bushings for a PSI kit on a Berea mandrel, and the bushings are tight or just don't fit, again I would blame this on PSI's mandrel being thin, and the bushings from them being made to match. Just guessing, but I think this might be what you were looking for.

Scott.

brokenbit

I have 8 WC mandrels I just started turning 7 month ago and have not had any problem with any of them
I've Dun about 175.
I think the reason I don't have any problems is I use my belt sander to sq. my blanks to the tube

Bernie

dfurlano

Thanks for the replys I was more concerned with the 60 degree live center not working. But since neither of you mentioned it I must have been mistaken.

Jim15

Hi Dan,
I have have half a dozen mandrels from different manufacturers and the 60 degree live center seems to work fine with all of them.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
I think the reason I don't have any problems is I use my belt sander to sq. my blanks to the tube
As long as the end of the blanks are square to the tube it won't make any difference what method you use.

Randy_

Dan: I believe you are correct. I seem to remember a post that said some (and maybe all) Woodcraft mandrels had a different threading on the headstock end and will only fit Woodcraft arbors. I think the threadibg is 1/4-20 rather than the 1/4-28 that is used on most mandrels. Some Woodcraft mandrel owner please correct me if I'm wrong.

I don't recall any problem in using them with the 60° live center; but there is an interesting comment in another current IAP thread that you should check out.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14084&whichpage=2

Look for GreggR's post about half way up the page.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
The thread portion on the woodcraft amndrel that goes into the M2 adapter is not 1/4" anything.
I have never bothered to measure it, it is not even close to any other I have.
I do have a couple of their mandrel set ups but unless you are using them in a collet or Jacobs chuck they are proprietary to their own adapters..
I guess they took the lead from Berea as in the "B" mandrel.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom