woodcraft collet chuck question

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gwd

i just purchased woodcraft turners collet chuck i cant seem to keep it in the head stock and it is hard to keep the wood in the collet what am i doing wrong should i take it back and buy the one from csusa that threads on to the head stock
or do you think with time i can make this one work its about half price.

thanks for you help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

marcruby

My set works fine - so far. Make sure the mt socket is clean. I also have the CSUSA set and you have to watch how it seats on the head. Usually I'm in too much of a hurry and I don't notice the wobble until I start to cut. But it's actually the easier to use set. You can get other collets for it from any local shop supply house.

rherrell

I believe that chuck needs a drawbar. Are there threads on the Morse taper end? If so, get yourself a piece of threaded rod long enough to go all the way through the headstock plus about an inch. Screw it into the back of the chuck and insert it into the headstock. Get a large washer and nut and tighten it up. That should keep it in place.
As far as keeping the wood in the collet, you need to seat the collet in the outer ring BEFORE you screw it together.
Don't put the collet in the chuck body and then screw on the ring. They don't work that way. Also,I don't believe that chuck uses ER32 collets which means you have almost no adjustment in the collet itself. Turn your pieces to the exact dimension of the collet and see if that helps.

PaulDoug

I have that chuck and was so disappointed in it that I bought a beal chuck set. I learned from the instructions that came with the beal chuck to put the collet into the head (the part that screws onto the chuck) first and make sure it is flush with the head. Then screw it onto the chuck loose before you put in your turning stock. I found I got better performance out of the Woodcraft chuck using this same method. I have also found it is important to keep the chuck as clean as possibe. I brush and blow both of mine out often.

gwd

first turned thimbles

here is my frist turning of a few thimbles
they only cost about $150.00
for the collect and the drill bit

what do yall think
sorry for the pic trying new camera

Attachments

• DSCF0112.JPG
    DSCF0112.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 167

SherryD

Running thru some older posts and say the comments on the thimbles. I see you are coming the the IAP meeting on the 22nd (meeting is at my place) If possible bring a few thimble with you, I am interested in what info you have on this matter. Look forward to meeting you and all of the others slated that have indicated they are coming.

sbell111

My set works fine - so far. Make sure the mt socket is clean. I also have the CSUSA set and you have to watch how it seats on the head. Usually I'm in too much of a hurry and I don't notice the wobble until I start to cut. But it's actually the easier to use set. You can get other collets for it from any local shop supply house.
Does anyone know what size collets the Woodcraft set uses? I like my Woodcraft set, but I sure would like to have a broader range of collet sizes.

Top Bottom