Woodchuck Uni-Tool or Pen Pro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dansills

I was getting ready to order the pen pro but noticed that the Uni tool is on sale; which to me makes it look like a much better deal. Can anyone help me decide by letting me know if the Uni tool is too big for pen making? Any thoughts or opinions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Knucklefish

I have both and can use either for pen making. Guess the short answer is you can use the unitool on pens but I personally do not recommend using the pen pro on bowls. Hope this helps.

PTsideshow

I am still learning the pen pro just turning cylinders of assorted materials down. Haven't attempted anything larger, but it looks that the pen pro will have a limited size in turning hollow interior spaces. Depending on the dia of the hollow. I love my pen pro!!!!:biggrin:
:clown:

tim self

Go with the bigger tool if you ever intend to turn more than pens. I got mine before the pen pro and wouldnt do it different.

A fireman can fight a fire or wash a car with a 2" hose but try putting out a fire with a garden hose.

leehljp

Member Liaison
I too have both. I learned pen turning with bowl tools and as a result like the longer shafts. However, in two weeks I have adapted to the shorter Pen Pro just fine and like it. I also ordered the Uni-tool and like the longer feel.

In reality, it is what you are used to and feel comfortable with - more so than the fact of one being longer or shorter than the other.

A warning of sorts is that the different inserts that come with the Uni-tool each have their own "feel". To me, the 4" radius has a different feel from the straight, and the 2"R and round have a different feel also. In some ways, the straight and 4R are similar but the edge of the straight will grab more than the 4R if rough turning down a blank to size. The 2R and round also have a different feel and require a good knowledge of them before jumping into an expensive blank.

I find a bit more distinction of feel in the inserts - than the length of the handle. Having said that, I prefer to use a longer handle for the 2"R and round because of the stronger grip I get with the longer shaft. What I am saying is that the 2R and round will have a tendency to grab more in some situations than the 4R. These are my experiences and others may be different.

keithlong

I have my own tool, one that I had made for my use because I have to sit and turn most of the time, it is short similar to Ken's tools and I have made a lot of pens with it. And I have one of the first ones that Ken made, he and I done a trade. Then I was gifted some octagon shaped metal rods and I had Ken make me some tools that use the round carbide inserts, and they work good on bowls and boxes. You can lay the tool on its side and use it as a scraper and it will lay flat on the tool rest. I use the longer square tool to rough out the outside of a bowl. Once you get usedto the feel and the way these tools work, you can do nice work with them.

brownsfn2

I bought the Unitool but I am sure at some point I will get the pen pro as well. The Unitool is great for bowls. I have turned several with it so far. When I do a pen though I find myself holding the steel shaft at times instead of the wooden handle. So while the Unitool works just fine for pens I think after a while you might want the pen pro too. I would like to get the pen pro and then get one of those hollowers for the inside of the bowl.

iclight0

tool i found

try you tube i found there a guy make them and also sells them, and are cheap in price and made very will all you have to do is make the handle. check out capt. eddie and his web site is eddiecastelin.com. i bought 2 bars and six cutters for 75.00 i got square cutter, radius cutter for 1 bar and the other was a round cutter. 1/2 steel and 3/8 steel. i made the handles and i really like the way the cut.

iclight0

my tools

Here are the ones I bought from capt. Eddie and the handles I made.

Attachments

• 2012-02-27_15-46-37_88.jpg
    2012-02-27_15-46-37_88.jpg
    70.4 KB · Views: 148
Top Bottom