Woodchuck stupidity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sgimbel

Finally ordered my Woodchuck because of all the comments here. I went after a piece of antler that nothing else would cut but eventually the woodchuck did. Then I did a PR pen and was none to implessed either. I was sharpening a gouge on my sander when I realized how stupid I can be. I was holding the Woodchuck upside down. Did 2 more pens and it ate them like butter. Pretty stupid huh................

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bobjackson

Passed Away Mar 5, 2020
In Memoriam
If you hold it upside down does it put material back on? I love my Woodchuck. It's all I use for all materials. I like the tip with a slight round to it.

PenMan1

Just keep the tool rest as close as possible! The only complaint I have with the Woodchuck is that it tends to eat too much! If you let the cutter head slip between the blank and the tool rest, it is never good! The Woodchuck cuts so fast, it is not uncommon to move the tool rest closer to the workpiece two or three times.

I have to be mindful when I have the Woodchuck in hand, NOT to apply pressure. It does great with less than half the pressure of most skews, gouges, scrapers, et. al.

Woodlvr

You can always take a black magic marker and write- TOP or THIS SIDE UP on the top side. Works for me but I am a blonde what can I say. :eek::redface:

ctubbs

I work with a guy that we have to put R and L on his gloves and he still gets them wrong often. Have you tried canting the WoodChuck on it's edge yet? It cuts like skew and gives a real slick cut. The corner will mark the rest though.
Charles

Padre

Did you hear about the Texan who wanted to be a blonde? See post #1.:biggrin:

BSea

Kinda reminds me of an old coach I had way back in high school. After I really messed up & lost a game for us. He told me "The only people who have never have lost a game are the one who never stepped out on the field." I remind myself of that every time I do something that qualifies me for a potential Darwin award.

I love my woodchuck too.

bitshird

OOps sure am glad every thing turned right side up, and that the tool works. I will admit I do need to either do a video which I feel incompetent to do, or make more detailed instructions, this I know because even though I explain how to put the handle on the tool. I've had several people ask me how to do it. I'm not sure if they read the instructions or not.
Andy is right though you DON'T want to use much if any pressure pushing in on the tool. it will remove a lot of material real fast, and can get too far over the rest real quick.

GregHight

The carbide scrapers like the Woodchuck or from EWT are great for many things. It works really well on the Rhinoplastic and I have turned quite a few pens using both a Woodchuck and the EWT (Easy Wood Tool).

I often turn alligator jawbone and I won't even try to use a non-carbide tool on that stuff which is so hard that I go through a lot of carbide tips working with that stuff.

I HAVE TO ADMIT, you are braver than I am to admit your mistake and tell your story! Thanks for the laugh! :wink:

dankc908

I love my woodchuck penpro too!!! However, I also bought the woodchuck with the 60 degree diamond point. I took a bottle stopper turning class and this diamond point (I don't know what Ken calls it) really helped me do wonders in shaping. I LOVE these tools!

Dan

ssajn

Local Chapter Leader
So if you turn with the lathe running in reverse is it ok to have the tool upside down??? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

BSea

So if you turn with the lathe running in reverse is it ok to have the tool upside down??? :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
Sure, just make sure you have it under the tool rest.:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: Don't really try this. Nobody want to go to the :doctor:.

Fred

Sure, just make sure you have it under the tool rest.:rolleyes:

DISCLAIMER: Don't really try this. Nobody want to go to the :doctor:.

AND if you just insist on trying to use the tool on top of the toolrest while running in reverse ... take your tool and go look in the mirror. Now hold the tool up under your chin. That is what you might look like if you get a catch.

Most folks I know do not look well wearing a cutting tool through their bottom jaw. :rolleyes:

Top Bottom