Woodchuck Pen Pro

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rogerwaskow

Hi all

I have been following a thread where it was asked what is your favourite pen making tool. In this thread were mentioned a number of verious tools ammoung them the Woodchuck Pen Pro and skewchgouge. I have now purchased the scewchigouge and am going to purchase the Woodchuck Pen Pro. I have thrown a couple of emails around to Ken who makes them and have received nothing but honest good advice and even saving me money as I usually go over the top when it comes to new tools. If somebody is wanting such a tool you can go by the word of Ken at http://www.woodchuck-tools.com/Tools.htm
He has been great in explaining to me and very patient because oh boy, can I go on about a subject if you havn't noticed by now.:biggrin::biggrin:
Take care
Roger

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ctubbs

+1 on Ken and his tools. He is a wealth of info and is fully willing to share what he knows. Great guy to buy from.
Charles

doddman70

I Could not agree more, I kicked the idea around for about a year and finally i had got irritated one to many times about my tools so i shut the lathe off and called Ken, he was kind enough to take time out of his turning to talk with me and answer all my questions and gave me a lot of good advice about what i should expect and not expect. you will not be disappointed with one of his tools!

EarlD

+1 on Ken and his tools. He is a wealth of info and is fully willing to share what he knows. Great guy to buy from.
Charles

+2. After 5 minutes of turning with the Woodchuck I picked up ALL the other turning tools lying around and stored them away. Haven't touched anything else since. It's a F A N T A S T I C tool! And Ken gives good service on orders to boot.

Earl

bitshird

WOW thanks for all the compliments, I just want to get fellow turners the best tool they can get at a price that doesn't make me feel like a robber baron.
Ken

Dave Turner

I have the Woodchuck Pen Pro and I also have the EasyWood Easy Rougher. If all you want to do is turn pens, the Pen Pro is great. If you also want to turn larger items, then the larger handle of the Easy Rougher gives you better control. I also find the larger handle of the Easy Rougher more comfortable to use when turning pens, so it's become my primary pen turning tool. The downside is the Easy Rougher is significantly more expensive than the Pen Pro. The carbide tips for the Pen Pro also fit the Easy Rougher and are significantly less expensive than the EasyWood brand.

For penturning, my recommendation would be to buy the Pen Pro without a handle and make your own longer handle to put on it.

qballizhere

I have the Woodchuck Pen Pro and I also have the EasyWood Easy Rougher. If all you want to do is turn pens, the Pen Pro is great. If you also want to turn larger items, then the larger handle of the Easy Rougher gives you better control. I also find the larger handle of the Easy Rougher more comfortable to use when turning pens, so it's become my primary pen turning tool. The downside is the Easy Rougher is significantly more expensive than the Pen Pro. The carbide tips for the Pen Pro also fit the Easy Rougher and are significantly less expensive than the EasyWood brand.

For penturning, my recommendation would be to buy the Pen Pro without a handle and make your own longer handle to put on it.

He does make the uni-tool now. Silular in length as the EasyWood tools It has the longer handle as well as being able to use the square bits as well as the 18mm round all in the same tool. I also have the woodchuck penpro as well as the uni-tool wouldnt trade them for anything

Last edited:

Skotty

Not only do I love my Woodchuck,I took it one step further and had it engraved! Where else can you go to have a tool that can be personalized so much other then making it yourself?

Keep the chips flying :airplane:

Lenny

The Woodchuck Pen Pro is one of those things that after you have purchased it and can look back at it six months or a year later and say "This thing is worth every penny"! It's a real workhorse and the best part is Ken doesn't gouge you on the cost of the "dentures" as I like to call'em! :)

My woodchuck has chewed alot of wood (and other materials) and I couldn't be ANY happier with my purchase.

vtturner

Received my Woodchuck Pen Pro on Friday and just came in from turning a nice cherry handle for it. Looking forward to give it a work out.

Bill

ctubbs

For once in my life, I listened to the advice of a Pro. Before I bought my Woodchuck, I gave Ken a call and asked the question, "Which should I buy, the Pen Pro or the Bowl Pro?" He asked me what I was going to turn and told me that I could turn pens with the Bowl Pro but it would be much more difficult to turn bowls with the Pen Pro. I bought the Bowl Pro with no handle. When it came in, I used just the Bowl Pro without handle to turn it a handle. Now I do not recommend anyone be stupid enough to use a turning tool without a handle but it worked like a charm. The tool works much better with its handle but it did a very good job of rounding a 1 3/4" square X 22" White Oak billet into a good handle. Ken is Da Man and his tools are the tops. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.
Charles

rogerwaskow

Pen Pro

Here is my handle for the Pen Pro which I am hoping is in the post

Attachments

• chisel_handle 001.jpg
    chisel_handle 001.jpg
    82.7 KB · Views: 129
Top Bottom