Wood vs. Plastic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mchech

I've only been turning pens for 2 years. For the first 1 3/4 years I swore I would never turn an acrylic because I love discovering what is inside the wood. Then it happened, someone wanted a blue pen. Not this blue but that blue. Attached picture is my first but not my last.

Now I am hooked. There is just something special about turning a blank to completion without touching the CA bottle except to glue in the tube. Using a little water and a few more sanding grits I get a finished pen that shines. No CA fumes, stuck fingers or other mishaps.

I'll still turn lots of wood and I always will but dang my sinuses appreciate a pretty chunk of Alumilite or acrylic acetate. If I can remember to put my gloves on when I glue the tubes in I no longer have to sit and scrape glue and pieces of paper towel off my fingers and hands with my pocket knife. Oh I'll still probably glue my fingers together or even glue my shoe to the basement floor like I've done but not as often.

Yes maam, you want purple? Oh that purple? Let me check my sources and I'll fix you right up.

Attachments

• Mesa Blue Ripples.jpg
    Mesa Blue Ripples.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 212
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Oh, Mike, Mike, Mike, - you've done it now. Pretty soon the acrylics that are challenging won't be so much. Then you're on to other, more "potent" things. Like acrylesters or (shudder) Tru-Stone. And all the time you will say "I can stop. I know I can". But the stash of blanks will get bigger and bigger. You'll know it's an obsession when you raid the kid's college tuition fund (just this once) to pay for some truly wonderful blanks.

But they're awful pretty, aren't they? And that one you just turned is a bodacious good looking pen.

BTW - I still do a fair number of wood body pens. I, too, have sinus/allergy stuff going on now and I can eliminate the symptoms by using a good (ie, activated charcoal) filter on my mask. It's worth the investment.

BSea

I swore I would never turn an acrylic because I love discovering what is inside the wood.
You should try turning some vertical cast blanks. There is almost always a surprise inside.:wink:
wild hog 2.jpg

Nice pen. Yes there are no fumes now,, wait until you want to make your own... But that's another chapter...
Ain't that the truth. I hate the smell of liquid PR in the morning . . . . and during the day . . . . and at night.:rolleyes:

Then there is always ebonite, antler, buffalo horn . . . . . . Have I left anything out?

mchech

I swore I would never turn an acrylic because I love discovering what is inside the wood.
You should try turning some vertical cast blanks. There is almost always a surprise inside.:wink:
View attachment 117384

Nice pen. Yes there are no fumes now,, wait until you want to make your own... But that's another chapter...
Ain't that the truth. I hate the smell of liquid PR in the morning . . . . and during the day . . . . and at night.:rolleyes:

Then there is always ebonite, antler, buffalo horn . . . . . . Have I left anything out?

Maybe that is what I love about this little stuff turning. There is always another level, something new to explore and research.

Sataro

Very nice looking pen! It is nice not to have to worry about the CA finish & the cleanup on the hands. I've been scraping glue & paper towel off my fingers for a long time now. Sometimes the acrylic blanks will have a definite surprise waiting on you.

nativewooder

Please, SAFETY first! If your sinuses get whacked turning and sanding a pen blank, then you are not wearing a decent facemask with sufficient filtration to protect your lungs either. For just a few dollars and a few seconds to put the protection on, you can live a healthy life and outlive most of the people around you. Give it a shot! Just a little SAFETY!

Top Bottom