Wood vs Acylics

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I have not made enough pens to test the market but was wondering what the pros think. How have the sales been going between the acylics and the woods??? Does one win out over the other??? Since I started, I have made more acrylics than wood and I think that is because they are easier. Just shape and polish and assemble. The colors you can get are fantastic. Now I am going to try some casting of carbon fiber and other things too.

I just think unless the wood has some fantastic grain or color, it is too plain. I found over time in my other hobby scrolling people love color. Was wondering does this carry over to pen selling also??? Thanks for the replys.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

doddman70

we sell alot more plastic than we do wood. When we do sell wood the plain basically no figure wood sells better than the high figure burl like amboyna or anything else.

igran7

I used to sell more acrylic than wood, but the last two years I've sold way more wood pens than acrylic. I think the novelty of the wood barrels draws the customer in, most times they can't believe it is actually made of wood.

I think I sell about 50/50 wood to acrylics... my inventory right now is more acrylics than wood though, don't know if that's my fault in production or if I've just sold more woods lately.

One thing that is interesting, I continually have people pick up an acrylic pen and ask what kind of wood it's made from, or is this wood, or something along that line.. people are looking for the woods.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I think I sell about 50/50 wood to acrylics... my inventory right now is more acrylics than wood though, don't know if that's my fault in production or if I've just sold more woods lately.

One thing that is interesting, I continually have people pick up an acrylic pen and ask what kind of wood it's made from, or is this wood, or something along that line.. people are looking for the woods.

OR, you have displayed your wood more prominently and they are predisposed to think you make wood pens.

GoodTurns

my sales lean toward acrylics (including snakes and bullets), but my high end sales are mostly highly figured woods (DI, TX Mountain Laurel, Hon Rosewood).

Chasper

In total the ratio is about 2.3 resin pens/keychains/bottle stoppers for every one wood. If I include antler, water buffalo, bone, stone, snake and anything else natural but not wood in the total, then we are selling about the same in resin verses all types of non-resin. High end pens are about 2 wood per one resin but I think I haven't had enough resin choices.

Looking closer at the details gives a different picture. Included in the total was a good show in rural Arkansas where wood and natural outsold resin 8:3. There was a good upscale art fair in an urban area area where there were no wood sales, and resin outsold all other naturals 4:1. The point in looking at the results at this level of detail is that I'm trying to plan inventory for these same shows this year.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
There are a lot of factors that determine which pen sells the best - wood or plastic.

Times change. and some of the uniqueness of a wood pen has worn off. 20 years ago wood pens were new and I couldn't give away a plastic pen. People preferred wood. That has changed as more people have seen the wood pens in the craft shows and stores.

Most people see plastic as being something they can use every day without it wearing out.

People are used to using plastic pens. Wood is an oddity, plastic isn't.

Some of the new plastic patterns are more dazzling than a piece of wood.
Then there is the fact that we are willing to pay up to $10 for a piece of pretty plastic, but we won't pay anything for a pretty piece of wood.

Sometimes the favoring of plastic is self fulfilling, because we make plastic pens that are a better quality and finish than the ones we make from wood, and quality still sells. Plastic is faster. We aren't willing to take the time that it takes to put a good finish on a piece of wood.

And then there is the location, where you are selling your pens, and what pens you are selling.

Someone said we create our own customers. I sell wood pens 10 to 1 over plastic because I make and sell wood pens. My customers are those who want a wood pen. Those who prefer plastic go to where they can buy them.

Last edited:

marcruby

Reminds me of a story a penturner friend of mine tells. At one end of a show there was a bowlturner who had nothing but glossy bowls. "Shiny sells" he assured my friend. At the other end was a guy who made natural finish bowls - sandpaper and wax, basically. 'Natural sells,' is what he declared.

The fact is that we create our clientele. Put out a lot of shiny things and guess who will show up. I've been to enough conferences and read enough journals to be able to declare "Good sells," - everything else is what the turner does to him or herself.

Marc

OR, you have displayed your wood more prominently and they are predisposed to think you make wood pens.

AlexL

I'm still new to pen selling I have only sold about 40 pens over the past year but my sales have been almost all wood and only a few acrylic.
My wood pens all have a high gloss CA finish and are mostly burl or cross grain woods and celtic knots.

alex

dogcatcher

I would say that we sell 10 wood to 1 acrylic. It has gotten to the point I rarely even look at the acrylic blanks. I also prefer working with the wood more than acrylic. The only time acrylic really comes into play is with the younger buyers, they like the fancy colors.

Marvin

OKLAHOMAN

When's the last time you saw a 5-6 hundred dollar pen made by one of the better known factories made of wood? Or for that matter a $75.00 one? This is not to say some here haven't made and sold high dollar wood pens but a cream swirl Bakelite,
Malachite Statesman always out sells my wood pens and for more $$$$$$$$$. As Russ said I guess it's how we present our wares to the public. I could not get into most high end shows with "wooden pens" and I finally asked a promoter why, the promoter said Roy your craftsmanship is fine but we're looking for Art not crafts so the next time I applied to their show it was with high end acrylic pen photos . I've been to a number of shows now that would never had a pen turner invited because of the idea that its just a $15-$20 wood pen sold a the local week-end farmers market and craft show. That's only my 2 cents and worth all you paid for it, your more than welcome to disagree.
BTW I'm sure if I had pens that sold for $20-$50 I would sell more than pens that sell for $150 up but I'd rather sell 10 pens for $150.00 each than 30 for $30..

Last edited:

chriselle

When's the last time you saw a 5-6 hundred dollar pen made by one of the better known factories made of wood? Or for that matter a $75.00 one? This is not to say some here haven't made and sold high dollar wood pens but a cream swirl Bakelite,
Malachite Statesman always out sells my wood pens and for more $$$$$$$$$. As Russ said I guess it's how we present our wares to the public. I could not get into most high end shows with "wooden pens" and I finally asked a promoter why, the promoter said Roy your craftsmanship is fine but we're looking for Art not crafts so the next time I applied to their show it was with high end acrylic pen photos . I've been to a number of shows now that would never had a pen turner invited because of the idea that its just a $15-$20 wood pen sold a the local week-end farmers market and craft show. That's only my 2 cents and worth all you paid for it, your more than welcome to disagree.
BTW I'm sure if I had pens that sold for $20-$50 I would sell more than pens that sell for $150 up but I'd rather sell 10 pens for $150.00 each than 30 for $30..

Roy,
I've said this exact same thing in other threads and felt like I offended some but I stick by my opinion and I'm glad to see I'm not alone.

jttheclockman

There is a store in a mall by me and Rudy Vey knows which one I am talking about and they sell high end pens and most are either acrylics or metal. Very few wood pens.

OKLAHOMAN

Chris, I and a few others here have been accused of being high-end snobs, I just think I wanted to take my pen turning to where I could be comfortable with my product and sales. Thats not to say that others don't make high end wood pens a few come to mind its just that I said that MOST of my pens are a form other than wood. If you were to go to my site you would see a pen made of wood that is priced higher than all my others but it has a STORY and in selling you are selling stories as much as a product.

chriselle

Roy, Similarly the wood pens I offer are 20 to 30 % higher in price and I praise them as specialty "one off" items with a "story" or at least a lengthy explanation of the good/bad points of selecting a wood pen. After that they usually choose a non-woody.
Maybe I need to work on my "story"..:tongue:

That said...

My favorite Namiki brand pens (collector series) are Urushi lacquer over briar barrels.

Top Bottom