Wood supply in LA

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocRon

Hi
I will be visiting family in the Woodland Hills area of LA next week. Are there any wood supply stores in the "Valley" area that you know about? Have already looked up Woodcraft and Rockler.
Thanks in advance for the info.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

oldsmokey

Good Morning Ron,
The Valley does not have many good wood suppliers anymore. I used to live in the valley. There is Phillips Plywood in Pacoima, near Paxton and San Fernando Rd. They supply the cabinet shops in the area. They carry several exotic hardwoods, but no bowl blanks. Rockler is in Pasadena, not a bad trip. Woodcraft is in Stanton, a long drive from Woodland Hills. There is another supplier, and I can't remember there name. They are near Parthena and Reseda, in Northridge.
If you decide to go to Woodcraft, check the yellow pages for LA. There are several stores there.
I had several contacts with the Department of Street Maintance, I would get most of my wood from them.
Enjoy your time in the Valley.
Ellis

hello ron

i live in west LA, we have a place called "house of hardwood" they mostly supply to the trades but once in a while they have some great buys and wood. i've gotten black palm, lace wood, and different sizes of cocobolo. their street name is Cottner. welcome to LA and good luck on your wood hunt.

laurie

DocRon

Thanks folks. That ought to get me started. I am limited to small sizes for air travel, so pen blanks and small pieces are what I will look for. Incidentally, last year I picked up some LARGE pine cones (Ponderosa, I think) in my son's neighborhood, planning to try to make some pens from them. I will look for some more this year.

KenV

South of LA towards San Diego (Carlsbad CA) is a good place for all kinds of fancy wood

http://www.anexotichardwood.com/managers_special.html

If you do not take a suitcase with you, you could take back 100 pounds of turning stock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom