Wood storage and treatment

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

txcwboy

I just cut down an old maple tree with lots of nice grain to it. I cut up the pieces into small half logs.How do I care for it till it dries and how long should it dry ?

thanks

Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Most importantly, seal the ends. Anchorseal is the best product for this. Idealy it should be done as the wood is fresh cut but later is better than never. Stacked so air can circulate and somewhere out of the rain and weather. Time can vary depending on climate. Rule of thumb is an inch a year. Consider building a solar kiln. Clear plastic tent, small circulating fan.

When talking about logs forget that inch per year stuff, that's only a rule of thumb for planks that are stickered. Past 2" or 3" it doesn't apply.

I do two things when I cut trees down.

1. If I want the wood to spalt, I stand the log upright on dirt and seal the exposed end with tar. I cover with a trap and check often. Woods differ, birch will start spalting in a month during the summer and in three months its trash. Maple may take a year before it is starting to look nice.

2. I cut logs in half, seal the ends with anchorseal and store horizontal out of the elements.

But this is not an exact science, if you plan on using the whole tree for pens, it may take you years to use up the whole tree. In many cases the wood may no longer be useful. Find some turning friends around you and share the wealth. Maybe when they come into some wood they will return the favor.

txcwboy

Most of the pieces are 14 inches long and were 14 inches dia until I split them into.I was going to use most for pens.How about cutting it up into usuable pieces and microwaving it ? Its not green but its not dead either. Tree had been slowly dying.Most of it has been cut down weeks ago and I just cut it into smaller pieces Saturday. Can they stabilize it now or is it too early ?

Thanks

Dave

I've only tried microwaving once or twice so I'm no real expert on the subject. Truth is, I have so much wood that is isn't hard for me to find something that is dry enough to turn into a pen.

I don't know your equipment list or your expertise. Please take that into consideration
Can you use a cradle to hold the half log safely and chainsaw the wood into planks say about an 1" to 1-1/4" thick? If so, then take those planks and bandsaw into 1"-1-1/4" square sticks. The reason I'm suggesting something so thick is you don't have to be perfect in your cutting and there is always the possibility the the wood may warp. Once the wood is dry you will have enough room to do what is needed.

At this point try nuking one piece. I believe a few short runs in the mircowave would be better than one long run. Come back and tell me your results.

I have tried soaking a few dozen pen blanks in a bath of DNA. Leave them in for a day, and let then dry. I've had success with cherry and russian olive . But in all cases I didn't get to turn the wood in less than a month or more time. Truth is I meant to get back to them sooner but it didn't happen. BTW, with this method I didn't seal the ends and had zero percent loss.

Dave,
I have some honey locust that I cut last summer... it laid in the wood pile since... I just began cutting it up this week and found some spalting... I've run it through the microwave about total of 45 to 50 minutes in 4 to 6 minute intervals... allowing it to cool for 1/2 hour or more between cooks... looks like it working okay.. the tree was green when I cut it.
I didn't cover the wood in the pile.. left open to the elements... I'm sure with all the rain we've had, it's been pretty wet, but at least feels dry to me.

txcwboy

here is a piece I cut today. Some of it looks REAL nice !

Dave

2007191748_maplecut.jpg
<br />

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom