wood stabilizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wickford

I have some spalted maple that has lots of "punky" spots and I've read on here that some folks use wood hardener from the big box stores to stabilize it. Can anyone offer any direction on this process? I've not done anything like this before but it sure would help in turning this great wood.

Thanks in advance!!

Jeff

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

eskimo

Jeff,

I have used the Minwax Wood hardener from Home Depot in the past with mixed results, depending on how degraded the wood is to begin with. If the wood is still fairly firm with a few soft spots, I have use the wood hardener with good results. If it is punky throughout, the success rate drops dramatically.

To use the hardener, I put the blanks into an airtight container & completely cover them with the hardener. I generally let them sit for about 48 hours. If you remove the top and see bubbles coming from the wood, it hasn't yet fully saturated. Re-cover & wait another day. After removing the blanks from the hardener, you will need to wait for them to dry. This will vary depending on the wood and can be checked with a moisture meter (I'll usually wait until I get to 5% or less).

After having said all that, I would agree with Cav about using CA if you are trying to recover very degraded wood or are only dealing with a couple of blanks. Your turnaround time will be much quicker. I used the wood hardener when I had 60+ pieces of Apple wood that had started to degrade and I was able to address them all at one time.

I hope this helps.

Bob

reddwil

I just purchased a dozen Splated maple blanks and the whole batch is "punky". Its the driest and softest I've seen in a while. However, They are some of the best looking I've ever had. Things are like balsa wood though. Will the thin ca soak in enough to make the blanks usable? Or should I just chunk them.

Something that I do with "punky" spalted maple is to drip thin CA into the drilled blank as you rotate the blank. Then glue in the tube.
Then, as I turn, I periodically add CA to the surface of the blank.
I do the same with cherry burl.

Larry

sbell111

For punky spalted maple, I toss it in a jar of thinned poly and put it under vacuum for a day. Then I let it sit on a drying rack for several days and it's ready to go.

Top Bottom