wood stabilizing

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dpstudios

Hey folks,
It seems y'all have a nice forum going on here. So I thought I would ask a question I have.
While not exactly new to turning or to pens I am new to stabilizing blanks. I have read the messages on using polyurethane & plexy/acetone & am wondering if anyone has used polycryl as a stabilizer. If so pros & cons?
Thanks
eddiek9
Laissez les bons temps tournez

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Some woods do not like turning and prefer to blow out. Examples are cross-cut, very soft and highly figured burls. Stabilizing does just what the name suggests and makes turning easier or sometimes possible. I have some highly figured big leaf maple burl, really beautiful but would not stay together on the lathe. I had the blanks stabilized and now it turns well and produces a really incredible finished product. Cons: if you don't need it, you are wasting time and money.

punkinn

I had the blanks stabilized and now it turns well and produces a really incredible finished product. Cons: if you don't need it, you are wasting time and money.

Can you suggest some sources for stabilizing? And does stabilizing in polyurethane work as well as resins (ie. "Staburlized" blanks sold by vendors)?

I have some wood that I just know is going to be trouble... [;)]

Nancy

Dario

If needed, I stabilize as I turn with CA. I've turned burls, spalted wood even punky ones and most just turned out well [:)].

Have yet to try turning a pre-stabilized blank. I have some care of fellow IAP members and BB but never tried any of them yet.

GregD

Nancy,
I have had good results using polyurethane. I do mostly corn cobs and buckeye burl. Most of our suppliers sell stablized blanks (Penn State, Wood Turningz, Arizona Silhouette CSUSA). If your looking for someone to do stablizing River Ridge does an execellent job. http://www.rrpwhite.com/

punkinn

Originally posted by GregD
<br />Nancy,
I have had good results using polyurethane. I do mostly corn cobs and buckeye burl. Most of our suppliers sell stablized blanks (Penn State, Wood Turningz, Arizona Silhouette CSUSA). If your looking for someone to do stablizing River Ridge does an execellent job. http://www.rrpwhite.com/

Excellent Greg, thank you so much. I will give the polyurethane a try first, then. We have a vacuum press set up (the boyfriend is currently making a small table with some gawgeous walnut burl veneers) so I'll see if I can talk him into letting me use it for my "nonsense". [:D] If not, or if I screw it up, then I'l have River Ridge for a source. Thank you!
Nancy [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom