Wood Stabilization

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BenP

I am interested in stabilizing my own wood, and want to know what chemical you guys use. I bought some stuff off eBay, but I know most of the pros use some kind of acrylic based stuff, which is different from what I found on eBay. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ben

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skye

After it's dry, you can use something like Minwax or Bondo's 'wood hardener'. Use that in a vacuum setup. It's similar to the stabilizing of a corncob. There's a tutorial around somewhere, but I cant remember where...

tnilmerl

Woodcraft sells a stablizing agent called pentacryl. Sold by the quart or gallon. Can be used on green wood. They recommend that the wood not be too dry. Apparently uses the internal moisture for molecular bonding/attraction/replacement.

Before I started using a vacuum system, I would place pre-drilled blanks in a large ziplock bag and fill with enough agent to totally immerse the blanks. More is better. I would then squeeze out all the air and seal the bag. Let it sit for at least day or two. Snip off a corner of the bag and siphon off all the excess, unabsorbed agent back into the original bottle (no sense in wasting what can be reused). The blanks will be wet and can be turned now, but I would also set them aside for a few more days (or weeks) and let them dry up and harden a little. Pre-drilling the blanks helps get the core of the blank stablized better.

My experience with pentacryl is overall favorable, but it did tend to darken my blanks. Don't know if this had to do with the particular blanks (lots of spalting) or what. Your mileage may vary.

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Ben,

I haven't tried this method, but there is a nice article on poly stabilization in the article list on the home page. Try this link
http://www.penturners.org/content/polyurethane1.pdf

FWIW,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom