wood that splits

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BrentK

I was reading yesterday about snake wood splitting. I turned a sedona pen using snake wood and yes it split. Someone said he didnt understand why people used the woods knowing they had a chance to split. Can someone tell me what other woods have this problem so I will know in the future to stay away from them.
Thanks,

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BrentK

Dang I just turned a pink ivory pen yesterday. I hope it doesnt split it is for my brother he wanted four sedona pens for people he works with. Oh well if it does chalk another one up to the learning curve.

negid

I actually had a pink ivory just the other day that split as I was assembling. I was able to take it back apart and put a couple more layers of CA on it. Luckily it was the top part of the blank and I was able to put the clip over the crack.

Sylvanite

The only wood I've been unable to split (with a 30-ton hydraulic log splitter) is elm. It was so stringy that I had to chop the pieces apart. :D

That said, katalox has given me more problems on my pens than any other wood (snakewood included). Katalox turns nicely, and assembles well, but it "moves" quite a bit with temperature changes. My katalox pens developed big splits and gaps in the winter.

Regards,
Eric

leehljp

Member Liaison
Originally posted by rherrell

Better yet, let's have all the snakewood charmers speak up and tell us their secrets![8D]

It would be easy to just do a search. This has been discussed several times from many perspectives over the past couple of years.

One thing is for certain, when reading previous/other posts, take into account the TIMELINE. I do not think you will find a person drilling, gluing the tube, turning and finishing all in one day, probably not in one week. P A T I E N C E

Some people will not finish the drilling in one day.

thewishman

Originally posted by Sylvanite

The only wood I've been unable to split (with a 30-ton hydraulic log splitter) is elm. It was so stringy that I had to chop the pieces apart. :D

Elm - the bane of wood splitters! Cottonwood is right up there, too.

African blackwood, lignum vitae, and camphor burl have all been problems for me.

Chris

Rifleman1776

The top three villans have been named: snakewood; pink ivory and genuine ebony.
The "someone" was me. I prefer to avoid problems that are nearly 100% predictable and just don't understand why folks would use those particular woods.

sbell111

Originally posted by Rifleman1776
The top three villans have been named: snakewood; pink ivory and genuine ebony.
The "someone" was me. I prefer to avoid problems that are nearly 100% predictable and just don't understand why folks would use those particular woods.
We still make ebony pens because we can be fairly certain that it will sell quickly. People like it, so we make it.

We make pens out of pink ivory because Cathy likes it. She's girly like that.

Jarheaded

I found that when my snakewood pen cracked, I pulled it apart and put it back on the lathe. I sanded off the finish, then using 400 grit, I sanded it with thin CA, this filled in the crack very nicely. I then put on several coats of thin CA and sanded it down with MM. I Used a Blo/CA finish and have not had a problem since. I don't know if this is the right way to do it, but it appears to have worked for me and it saved a beautiful pen.
I am having a problem with all types of pens cracking in one of the stores that sell my stuff. I took all the cracked pens back to my shop and put them into a box so I would get around to replacing the woods. About a week later, I opened the box up and almost all the pens had expanded back to were I had a hard time finding the cracks. Obviously this is from the lack of humidity in the store, since it is the only store that has the problem and they get the same woods as everyone else. I had no choice but to ask them to put in a humidifier or I would not honor my sales policy with them. I took all the pens out of the store for now and when spring gets here, I will bring back an assortment for them to try again. All the cracked pens were stripped and redone, even those that did close back up, just in case. For next Xmas season, they will only get acrylics and stabilized woods. I ate the expense this time, but if they can't control the humidity(or lack of) I can't be responsible.

Top Bottom