Wood River Chisels

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

I'm looking for anyone who has these or used them for extended periods of time to comment on them. I'm drawn to them due to the extra long length of the handles, and they are HSS.

If you don't have any direct experience with them, please don't comment as I'm not looking for uninformed opinions or any other type of comments but those related directly to the use and quality of these chisels. I know PSI sells the benjamin's best, I know people like and use the HF chisel set..etc

Sorry to sound harsh, but other than that little disclaimer, thank you in advance for your informed opinion and have a happy holidays. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

Pretty sure that's what I have. Got it from Woodcraft and I think its a rebranding of the Pinnacle line.

I have a 1" skew and love it as long as I keep it sharp and a slightly rounded profile. The extra length lends great control. I just got a couple of the woodchucks and plan to make similar lengthed handles for them.

jleiwig

Pretty sure that's what I have. Got it from Woodcraft and I think its a rebranding of the Pinnacle line.

I have a 1" skew and love it as long as I keep it sharp and a slightly rounded profile. The extra length lends great control. I just got a couple of the woodchucks and plan to make similar lengthed handles for them.

Thanks Mike. I too liked the extra handle length, and the "head" turner at the Woodcraft store says he likes them as much as the other more expensive chisels they sell, especially considering the price.

I just wanted to make sure that he wasn't giving me the bs story line to get me to buy the set.

I think you are right. Woodcraft changed all their Pinnacle stuff to Wood River sometime last year I believe.

JimB

I have the 1/2" fingernail grind bowl gouge. I love it for turning down bowl blanks to near final size. I think it holds an edge as good as my Sorby 3/8 bowl gouge.

wickford

I have the Pinnacle 3/4" roughing gouge and its great. I was told by the main turner at my local woodcraft that they changed the manufacturer of the chisels and also changed the name to wood river. He tells me that the wood river are a cheaper high speed steel and recommended me against buying wood river. He suggested I stay with pinnacle while they were still available...FWIW...

gvanweerd

I have the woodriver pen turners set. I love all three. they seem to hold there edge. there ez to control. I like them

Top Bottom