Wood plus resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DocRon

I am considering trying to do a pen with a laminate of wood and some sort of plastic ( polyester, acrylic, etc). Assuming that I can make something esthetically pleasing, at least to me, and functionally useful, what might I anticipate for difficulties in turning and/or finishing? The physical properties are obviously going to be very different for each material. I have experience in turning both, but not together. Any experience here? Any thoughts, positive or negative?
I eagerly await your input [:p]

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Not too sure what you have in mind. But, a wooden blank can be turned very thin then cast it in clear polyester resin. The results are quite stricking as the resin's curved surface magnifies the figure in the wood. Take a look at Jay Pickens' album: jpick22 and look at the parable pen. You may have something totally different in mind.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by DocRon
<br />I am considering trying to do a pen with a laminate of wood and some sort of plastic ( polyester, acrylic, etc). Assuming that I can make something esthetically pleasing, at least to me, and functionally useful, what might I anticipate for difficulties in turning and/or finishing? The physical properties are obviously going to be very different for each material. I have experience in turning both, but not together. Any experience here? Any thoughts, positive or negative?

DocRon

Don
I had more in mind a laminated or segmented design, rather than encapsulating the wood. I like your suggestion tho, that would be really nice with a highly figured burl, for example.

neon007

I have done a few with polyester and wood. The best advice I can give is to use stabilized wood. That way they will finish relativly the same. I use sand paper: 220-2000. then i seal with CA, wet sand and buff. That is what works for me anyway. Hope that helps. Im sure there are some better ways out there.

Darley

Originally posted by DocRon
<br />I am considering trying to do a pen with a laminate of wood and some sort of plastic ( polyester, acrylic, etc). Assuming that I can make something esthetically pleasing, at least to me, and functionally useful, what might I anticipate for difficulties in turning and/or finishing? The physical properties are obviously going to be very different for each material. I have experience in turning both, but not together. Any experience here? Any thoughts, positive or negative?

What to do you really want to do? make a laminated blank and glue a piece of resin or PR? or make a laminated blank and cast in PR? I did this one for my last PITH

2007623232541_making%20blanks.jpg
<br />

laminated blank with sea snake skin ready to be cast in PR.

2007623234320_pith3.jpg
<br />

Turning was as usual, regarding sanding my fear was about the laminated part especially on wet sanding ( for the PR), I check between each grade of MM to see if the small pieces ( at the nib ) was holding on, after the sanding process I did the CA finish , I'm working on a wood and stone not easy and not much success to drill Opal[:(][xx(]any way hope this help you out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom