Wood Paperclip dispenser

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

gerberpens

Have any of you guys ever turned a wooden paperclip dispenser? You know the kind with a magnetic ring at the top to keep the paperclips from falling out. Or do you know where there might be some plans for one?

Thanks.

Gary

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fred in NC

Never seen a plan for paper clip dispensers! I think it would look and turn just like a little box. Because of the magnet, it probably has to be turned in two pieces, with a recess in between for the ring magnet. It is like a box with a lid, with a large hole in the lid.

I would buy a couple cheap plastic dispensers, and retrieve the magnets from them. Cheaper than shipping charges if you want just a few.

dougle40

Gary ,
CSUSA has the ring that you are looking for at the link below ,

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/cgi-bin/shopper?preadd=action&key=064-0125

Hope this helps .

Fred in NC

Thanks for the link, Doug! It has some pics of finished dispensers too.

Be careful, the description states:

NOTE: This item is considered a hazardous material that can only be shipped by surface delivery in the United States, its territories, and Canada. Air delivery of this product is not available.

MAN !!!!

G

Turn a cylinder hollow it out and put a RE magnet in the bottom.
You won't need a ring.

dougle40

NOTE: This item is considered a hazardous material that can only be shipped by surface delivery in the United States, its territories, and Canada. Air delivery of this product is not available.

I never even looked down that far , I wonder what it is that makes a magnet a hazardous !!!![:0]

ryannmphs

I wonder what it is that makes a magnet a hazardous !!!!

My guess would be that if it got too close to some of the aircraft equipment it might mess that up. Not that they use them anymore, but when I was flying we always had an old compass on the dash (the globe kind) so if the electronic equipment went out, we had a backup.

Now, could you imagine a nice big cargo plane flying in the wrong direction due to someone sticking a box with a RE magnet behind the cockpit door?

Ryan

btboone

Rare earth magnets are extremely powerful. I once had some and held one in my hand as it repelled another on a desk. I was noticing the powerful repelling force, when all of a sudden, the one on the desk flipped over and flew through the air and attached itself to the one on my hand. It pinched a fold of skin between my finger and thumb and I literally needed to use screwdrivers to force them apart. I had a heck of a blood blister. I'm sure there's a lesson in there somewhere.

penhead

Local Chapter Leader
I had my help desk destroying old disk drives before turn in...so I decided to take about a dozen or so apart and keep the magnets....coworker came by picked one up started playing with it...someone else came in the lab and he got distracted, got his hand to close to his pocket where he had a metal object...and if you have any idea how strong those magnets are, you know how quickly it got "his" attention...[:)]

JohnPayton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom