Wood that is naturally blue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Russianwolf

okay, here's a challenge for all of us. Find a wood that is naturally a blue color.

We have woods that are Yellow, Orange, Red, White, Purple, Black, Brown, Grey and even Green, but what about a natural Blue.

I seem to recall seeing some Katalox a long time ago that was a sky blue color, but I haven't seen anything like it since. So does anyone else know of a natural blue wood?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

THarvey

Mahoe - Joel (Tuba707) has some listed in the individual classifieds.

Holly, harvested when the sap is high, will dry with a bluish tint.

workinforwood

I'll add buckeye burl to the blue list with those other two. Also there is Blue pine. It's a disease or something caused by some sort of beetle or something like that that causes the pine to go blue and it's blue all the way through. Nothing is blue like the sky on a crisp clean day of course, but they are still blue. The blue pine isn't that hard to find, it's pretty commonly used in pallets because the blue is a defect not suitable for furniture.

clthayer

Pine, maple and pretty much any white wood will turn blue if cut green and left in the sun. It's called stain.

Also I have seen red oak turn blue. I think it has something to do with being in contact with metal. I think the log had some nails in it.

Christian

sparhawk

Not a natural wood but TS company in the member submitted links have a way of infusing color into the wood as the tree grows. Thought it was pretty neat. Its in the penturning supplies section of member submitted links.

Fatstrat

The blue pine is, in fact, caused by a beatle, and although the name indicates a blue color, its actually closer to gray than blue. And most is not colored all the way through, but only streaks. It is now valued by many for its blue/gray streaks for furniture. And this is the first time ive actually known something about anything on this site, so i just Had to at least pretend to be helpful, even though im not.:D

jrc

I've heard it called denim pine and at big mill yards in Vermont you see sprinklers keeping the pine logs wet to keep them from staining blue.

keithkarl2007

sycamore if its stored flat when still a little wet will turn blue from the moisture. To avoid this happening it does be stood on end to allow the moisture run down the board, or so i've seen, where don't ask

Top Bottom