Wood name

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

mick

On the same trip to the exotic wood store I bought a very nice piece of Che Chen .....or Chen Chen. I've seen it both ways and was wondering the correct spelling ...or name. I did a search and I came up with was a bunch of Chinese folks....lol I alway like to have a little info on my woods so I can tell my customers something about the pen!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Reminds me of something I found on a wood dealers site recently. See below:

<<The scientific world is very much in disarray when it comes to identifying tropical woods. One needs only to look at the web site of the US Department of Agriculture Tropical Forestry Lab to see the general confusion that exists in the ID of tropical species. Most woods have common names that vary from country to country and even river by river and community to community. You may be interested in the USDA Tropical Wood web site, I am sure you will find it interesting.

It may or may not surprise you to know that many species can have up to 30 or more scientific names. Over the years researchers have "discovered" a wood in one area and registered it with a scientific name not knowing that it had been registered many times before by other "discoverers" thus leading to the confusion we have today. With the recent spread of information via the internet this problem has become more clear to all and hopefully will be cleared up. >>

Rifleman1776

I did a Google search for 'chechen wood' and this came up:

http://www.exotichardwood.com/pic_chechen.html

The other name "poison wood" could give warning about wearing a mask when working.

Pikebite

Chechen is also known as Black Poison Wood or Caribbean Rosewood. The poison is in the bark layer and I believe the wood is okay to turn.

Nice wood and the burl can be really pretty.

mick

Thanks Frank, I think my trouble arose from trying to look for it as two words, Che Chen. This clears that up!
Richard I figured it was some kind of rosewood from the grain and the way it looked, just didn't know any other names to search by. Again , thanks guys [:)]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom