Which Wood Lathe would you buy?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

RichardZeh

I am new to penturning as a matter of fact new to wood turning. I would like to get started and want to purchase a lathe any recommendations would be helpful. If I should stay away from any particular lathe I would appreciate that info. Price is not my biggest concern, I would rather buy right the first time and not have to buy a new one in a year or two. Please help. I hope this is the right forum to post to for this question, this is also my first time in a forum.

Richard

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cowchaser

Well, I will tell you what I have and many members here also. I have a Jet mini 1014 varialbe speed. You will probably receive many opinions on this, but for me it came down to price just over 300 with free shipping from Amazon. I know alot of people are happy with the brands as well. I prefered to buy the variable speed right off the bat since after much research on here I read where others where adding a variable speed kit to their non vs.

johnnycnc

Richard,welcome to the group!
For a lathe,my next one will be a Jet mini,
variable speed.
I have a Jet mini non-variable speed now,
and can't say enough good about the quality.

Brewmeister35

You're only getting one? [}:)] I have a craftsman, rikon, and a carbatec. I use them all for different things but the rikon gets the most use. You need to decide whether or not a mini will be big enough to turn what you want to turn. If you aren't sure and just starting this habit... I mean hobby, a mini jet, or the rikon are great choices. I'd bet the mini jet is about the most popular and do get a variable speed if possible. You'll be glad you did later.

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
You didn't say what your turning goals were. If only pens, then the Jet mini VS is a great lathe. I bought the "Rocker $199 (on sale for $159) special and ended up returning it within a week. It had bad bearings out of the box and we decided constantly changing belts was a PITA. That said, the new Rikon mini lathe that WoodCraft is selling looks stellar!

Now, if you are planning to graduate to bigger bowls, now the question gets harder to answer. How big do you want to turn? How big is your budget? There are some amazing multi-thousand dollar lathes than can handle huge stuff as well as handling your pens. So back to the two questions...

GK

LEAP

Wood craft has the Rikon mini on sale for $199. I have had one for a year now and love it. It is at least as good as the jet non variable speed. Would I like a VS, YES but for the money I highly recommend the Rikon.

BernieW

I have the Rikon for over a year now. I love it and have given it a work out several times. It will turn a 11 3/4" bowl if you decide you want to do those.

shawn394

I started with the carbatec vs. Still use it to buff. I bought a Steel City VS mini this summer. It has been great. Also looked at the Jet mini, if I buy another mini I will probably get it. Welcome to the addiction.

Buzz

The Jet mini takes some beating, very reliable, smooth and quiet too. Just wish I had gone for the VS model. Although changing speeds is not difficult, when going from turning to sanding I don't change speeds, but should, and would if it were VS.

alxe24

I got the 16/42 Jet EVSV 110V and love it. Just now after a few years of turning items that I could have turned on the Jet mini I am considering making bigger things with it along with the pens and small boxes.
My suggestion to you is start with the Jet Mini VS and use the spare $$$ for the accessories which will cost you more than the lathe itself and you need them. A good scroll chuck with some different jaws, the beal chuck, some live centers, turning tools, a jig to sharpen the tools (I have the Wolverine) A grinder to sharpen 8" VS is a nice choice and the list goes on and on. Once you use the capacity of the little lathe you will have learn a lot and then you can move to the lathe that will be best for you at that time. By then you'll know if you like turning and what would you like to turn then you get the bigger lathe 12,14,16,20 inch swing 110V 220V and bla bla bla. All the accessories and tools will be good for all the lathes.
Hope this helps you.
Welcome to the club.
Alex

If price really is not an issue and if you have ANY inkling that you might turn other things go with a larger lathe. This is what I have: http://www.teknatool.com/products/Lathes/DVR%20XP/Nova%20_DVRXP.htm

rherrell

Like Alex I have the Jet 1642. It's the first and more than likely the last lathe I'll buy. I'll give you the same advice that was given me, get the best you can afford. I was lucky to find mine on sale at Klingspor's so I jumped on it. Haven't turned anything real big yet but it's nice to know I can if I want to.

alamocdc

Welcome! I found out the hard way that starting small and cheap only costs more money in the long run. If you are fairly certain that you will not migrate to larger turnings, I Jet VS is the way to go. If the turning bug bites (or has already bitten) you, a larger lathe is what you want. Something like the Jet 1642 should do you well for most anything you might want to turn. Like it's larger cousin (PM 3520B) the headstock slides to the end for turning items larger than 16". Most master turners I've read and talked to agree, buy the best and largest lathe you can afford. The Jet 1642 is just about $1100 cheaper than the PM 3520B, but will turn items almost as large and is a good heavy lathe (better for dampening vibration). Amazon is selling both 1642's (1.5 & 2 HP) with free shipping right now. The 2 HP requires 230v, single phase while the 1.5 HP version requires only 115v. This could be important if your shop isn't wired for 230v and you don't want the additional expense, or hassle.

I made the mistake of starting small and cheap. After three upgrades and a few hundred $$ lost in resale value, I finally have a lathe that I will be able to use for decades (PM 3520B). The choice, of course, is yours. It just depends on what you think you need, or want to do.

Fred

Consider where you believe you will be in a year or so and then consider getting the largest lathe that you can afford. I suggest the Powermatic as it is big enough to do just about anything you may want to do in the next 4-8 years. It is certainly heavy enough to not go dancing across your floor every time you start turning an out of round/balance chunk of hardwood. I have the JET 1642 and wish now that I had gone with the much heavier Powermatic.

All the info prior to my post is very instructive and I am sue others will add more after me. You will see that in the long haul the lathe is often the cheapest expenditure in this hobby as the tools and other necessities can and do get expensive over time. Buy the best that money can buy and you just can't go wrong. Broke maybe, but not wrong.

I also recommend the 220v motors. They turn better and in the long run and don't really cost that much more to operate over a period of time. The power is already there when you move into heavier turnings such as bowls, etc.

Your next question I am sure will be on Tools. Opinions here vary like everything else. I advise again ... buy the best and avoid future replacement costs and the occasional, "Gee, I wish I had bought ..."

Then there will be the expense of a danged good sharpening device. I HIGHLY recommend the Tormek with the necessary jigs. JET has a competitive priced machine, but the consensus here is to get the Tormek jigs as they are superior most all aspects to the JET jigs.

Just get out and look at all that's available at your local Woodcraft or Rockler stores. Go to one even if it is a ways away and put your hands on whatever you are seriously considering. This will also help you decide what tools fit your height and hand size when standing at the lathe. I for one am 5'8" and I will not use any turning tool that does not extend out past my elbow when held to the piece of wood I intend to turn. This extra length adds considerable stability and refines the control one has when turning. BTW, my favorite is the Sorby 1" oval skew. It is not for the first time turner, but is one of the most useful tools in your hands after a bit of a learning curve.

OK, now ask more questions... [:D]

Rifleman1776

There have been several mentions of the Jet 1642 lathe here. The Grizzly G0632 is the identical machine at about $400.00 less money. (depending on sales, etc.) The G0632 is my next lathe purchase in the 220V model.
BTW, my woodturning club uses the Jet Mini for demos. It's ability to turn somewhat larger items is not to be sneezed at. It's a heck of a fine machine. I wouldn't get one expecting to add the bed extension as that is, IMHO, trying to get too much out of a small machine. If you want longer, shop bigger.

jhs494

My only advice on purchasing a lathe would be to read all the details.
For example mine came with a 1"-12 thread spindle it took me almost a year to find an adapter for a chuck.
My tailstock travel is too short to drill all the way thru a blank without stopping and moving the tailstock forward.
Oh the price was right, so I thought.....

You are going the correct route by asking about it here, I didn't and learned the hardway.

Rifleman1776

Originally posted by jhs494
<br />My only advice on purchasing a lathe would be to read all the details.
For example mine came with a 1"-12 thread spindle it took me almost a year to find an adapter for a chuck.
My tailstock travel is too short to drill all the way thru a blank without stopping and moving the tailstock forward.
Oh the price was right, so I thought.....

You are going the correct route by asking about it here, I didn't and learned the hardway.

jhs, yes, the buyer is the final determinant. My current lathe is a Grizzly G1067Z and it has the 1"X12tpi spindle. I hadn't even seen a lathe since childhood when I bought this and the spindle thread size and count was not something I had knowledge enough to factor into the decision. Like you, it took a while to get an adapter. I finally had a machinist friend make me one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom