wood identity

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

fernhills

A guy gave me a 1"x 4"x 24" long piece of this wood that we both thought was maple till i cut it up. looks like Hickory to me, What do you think? Carl

Attachments

• Hpim0852.jpg
    Hpim0852.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 169
  • Hpim0853.jpg
    Hpim0853.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 169
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hewunch

I tell you, it resembles some of the Japanese Chestnut I have. It could be hickory too. Is that bandsaw skip or serious flame down the side?

Nick

I think it is Crerry as well, as Mile said "pitch pockets in cherry"
Will you be offering a prize to the winner??
Just kidding

Hosspen

Cherry smells good when you saw it. The photo looks a little too yellow for me to say cherry but maybe that's my monitor. Cherry usually has a bit more of a pinkish tint to it.
I have seen some hickories like pecan have the pitch pockets but the color isn't looking like pecan to me either. The grain does remind me of cherry by the way.

novop711

If the grain is tight like maple with the pitch pockets, then it is most likely cherry; but if the grain looks more like ash but darker in color, then it is most likely hickory.

Just my 2 cents worth.

fernhills

Hi, thanks everyone for taking the time out to look. It does look like Cherry to me to, but it was kind of hard, that's why i discounted it. Well since the overall response is Cherry, then it is Cherry. BTW it is pinkish in color and it does take to turning well. I did a quick slimline in gun metal hardware just to see

Attachments

• Hpim0854.jpg
    Hpim0854.jpg
    17.1 KB · Views: 97
M

monkeynutz

Maybe it's a hybrid cross between Hickory and Cherry... Checkory... or Hairy Chicory... :befuddled:

Paul Downes

Or it could be the heartwood of maple. I've seen plenty of that and the color can fool you. The best way is to smell it when you cut it. Maple has a smell distinct from cherry.

Top Bottom