Wood Identification Book

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Hare

As I aquire more and more blanks. I am afraid that I will lose track which blank is which. Does anyone know the name of a good wood identification book? I am trying to keep them in zip lock bags with the names on the bags, but I get lazy and just throw them in a bag sometimes.

thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tipusnr

The book I use is called "Useful Woods of the World" but it isn't the end all to that sort of problem. So many things affect the individual growth of a tree that identification becomes as much of an art as a science. Minerals and other nutrients can change the coloration, and prevailing winds, rain (or lack of it), and man can affect the grain greatly.

Good luck.

JimGo

Chris,
I write the names on the blanks as much as possible. I'm also compiling a collection of cut-offs from which I hope to make an identification chart. I agree with Bill, it may be a somewhat futile effort, but at least it will be a good baseline. I also have a book with pictures in it; can't remember the title, and it never seems to have the wood at which I'm looking (mostly, I think, because I tend to like the rare, exotic woods).

Good luck!

wayneis

I don't have a book but what I have been doing is writing on the blanks with markers when I get them so that I won't forget what the heck they all are.

Wayne

53Jim

I do the same thing Wayne does. When I get some blanks I write on them, only i use a lumber crayon. Than I either put them in a drawer, or a plastic 'tub'-type container.

53Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom