Wood Identification Book

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kyaggie

Hello all,

I'm not sure if this is the right place for this thread but here it is. My wife and I were watching Antiques Roadshow the other night and this segment came up (1910 Hough's "American Woods" 3rd Edition Set | Roadshow Archive | PBS) about a 13 volume set of books that cataloged all of the trees in North America complete with 3 veneer cuts of the trees (crosscut, quarter sawn and "board" sawn). So with a little googling later I found that the set has been reprinted and was available at Amazon for $25 as a single ~750 page volume (Romeyn B. Hough: The Woodbook: Klaus Ulrich Leistikow: 9783836536035: Amazon.com: Books). It arrived yesterday and wow what a fantastic reference! The images of the wood slices are beautifully done and a short description of the tree, it's habitat, etc. and a drawing of the leaves is included in English, German and French (I think). So if you have $25 burning a hole in your pocket then this is a fantastic reference for you library (I have no monetary connection to the publisher or Amazon).

Enjoy,
Mike

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Wildman

Been turning for many years and have bought many books and VCR tapes on turning have never bought a book on wood with exception of field guide to trees. I have found many old books on wood written in an easy and concise style rooting through Google books.

National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Trees: Eastern Region: NATIONAL AUDUBON SOCIETY: 9780394507606: Amazon.com: Books

With so much information online on both domestic and exotic wood, be sure to check it out.

Forest Products Laboratory - USDA Forest Service

HobbitHouse Wood ID site

Too many of us know more about chucks, lathes, & turning tools and forget about the wood. Even with years of experience harvesting my own wood for turning, learn something new all the time.

So congratulations on your book find!

SDB777

Have had this one under the side table for a few years....I might have to just look through it again.

Scott (I got more books then sense) B

Top Bottom