Wood Identification

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Smokin Slow

New to turning and just purchased the 100 wood blank set from Woodcraft. The woods are not identified in any way but I would like to know what they are for future reference, any way to figure that out?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rcbennett

Wood ID

I bought one of those boxes years ago, but back then the blanks were numbered and there was a list included, but of course I've misplaced the list.
I've used a book I have on Wood ID that has tons of pics, and as Drewboy said post pics, you'll get an answer.

1080Wayne

If you want to see a lot of woods , look at Hobbit House HobbitHouse Wood ID site
Shouldn`t take more than a week or two to look at everything .

Pick a few and take some pictures . One 220 grit sanded side shot (also adjacent side if it looks different) , 1 end grain sanded to about 400 . No guarantees on results , but some of us will try . Some indication of density also helpful (weight on a gram scale) . A few have characteristic odours . Some of them should be woods local to your area , so a visit to a wood store might help .

Skie_M

Checked the online reviews of the 100-piece box of pen blanks by Woodcraft ... link here:
Buy 100 Piece Pen Blank Assortment at Woodcraft.com.

It seems that though they are packing all hardwood species, roughly half or more will be domestic species like oak, osage orange, walnut, maple, and most damnningly, poplar. Poplar is a very lightweight and light colored species that most uninitiated will mistake for pine given it's very easy to deform with a fingernail. It's even lighter and weaker than walnut, which at least has the redeeming feature of being a beautiful darker grained wood that can have gorgeous figure.

You are going to want to separate each of the species into piles of like types and take some pics for us so we can identify how badly they're ripping their customers off, and you may also want to seriously consider taking the box back for a refund or exchange.

Product Information:
We've gone to our best wood sources and collected a wide variety of spectacular pen blanks from Africa, Indonesia, South America and the USA. The 100-piece assortment has mostly exotic blanks, and no two boxes will be the same. Blanks are 3/4" x 3/4" x 5".

100 blanks Sometimes not properly counted, one of the reviews mentioned having only 95 in the box.

Blanks are 3/4" x 3/4" x 5" Not gauranteed. Several of the reviews mentioned pieces with ends cut at a diagonal and only 2.5 to 3 inches in length.

Mostly exotic Also a lie. Some of the reviews mentioned getting 50% native hardwoods. I'ld check that box before leaving the store.

Smokin Slow

Tried to categorize as best I could last night and at .40c per blank I didn't think it was too bad for a beginning turner. Not sure I would pay full price of $100 but $39 seemed reasonable to me.

Attachments

• wood blanks.jpg
    wood blanks.jpg
    74 KB · Views: 217

Skie_M

Looking at that box full, you may have gotten the better end of the deal...

lower left middle and middle ... looks like you might have some olivewood in there. Probably spanish, but there might be some bethlehem mixed in.

Bottom right and center right ... looks like that might be 2 packs of cocobolo.

Anything packed with wax (all that darker colored stuff) is probably an exotic hardwood from another country, so you've got yourself about a 50/50 mix.

Bottom center looks like poplar, and I see a few other sticks of what may be poplar or maple, possibly beech wood or even camphor.

Dead center there's one dark stick that wasn't wax coated ... looks like purpleheart.

Top left quadrand, lower right towards the middle, there"s a bunch of really dark wood .... possibly gabboon ebony, massacar ebony, or african blackwood.

Top middle to top right, 3 packs of similar wood .... they look like rosewood to me. May be burmese rosewood, yucutan rosewood, or another type.

You'll have to clean the wax off of a few of each and get us some more pics so we can make more definitive identifications .... side view, top view (grain patterns from adjacent sides) and end views.

Top Bottom